View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #67
splashmountain
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Jumpshooting is an eye sore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs2016
Watching all these videos, and one thing that really stands out and irks me is how bad the shooting looks and probably feels in this game.

I'm seeing wayyy too many shots hitting the front of the rim and falling straight down. That's like missing by an entire foot. Anyone who knows basketball knows that shooting is truly a game of centimeters/millimeters.

It seems like the slightest contest triggers the ugliest brick animations. Contests look way too strong yet again.

It feels like 2k is artificially trying to achieve realistic shooting percentages. The game is looking pretty ugly as a result.

These are pros who shoot hundreds of shots each day. It shouldn't look like a pick up game between football players.
The large letters of above has always been the case. It's why i never liked when so called "sim ballers" would say things like "the fg%'s are too high when I play person X."

Thats not the logic they need to put in the game to FORCE realistic %'s on players.

What should happen and would actually simulate real life basketball. Is for them to based the shots going in off of the guys ability your release point(stick skills) and the defense.

its not that hard.

if a guy closes out but doesnt block it. and you have two ratings. one rating is how much you fear defenders vs how much you dont.

Lets say prime kobe, prime Tmac, prime ray allen with a hand in their faces. It should not bother their shooting release accuracy green area as much as it does to other players that are not special in that area of no fear.

You make the green zone larger for better shooters off the pick and pop, catch and shoot, and/or off the dribble all depending on that players abilities in those scenarios.

Then you decrease the bar based on the defenders proximity to the player. the defenders ability(is he a lockdown guy, a solid defender, or a bum on defense).

Then you allow the green zone to decrease lastly based on if the player is more afraid of a defender thats close to him or not.

ex:
Kyle Korver catch and shoot wide open lets say 10 is the largest green bar you can have. Green bar = 10 (in this scenario for this player)

Kyle off the curl around a screen = 9

Kyle off the dribble = 5

Kyle catch and shoot with a bum defender close by = 9.8

kyle catch and shoot with a solid defender close by = 7

kyle catch and shoot with a lock down defender close by = 3

I can do each one above based on these same scenarios.

lets do prime 81 points kobe.
Kobe bryant catch and shoot wide open lets say 10 is the largest green bar you can have. Green bar = 8(in this scenario for this player)

Kobe off the curl around a screen = 7

Kobe off the dribble = 7

Kobe catch and shoot with a bum defender close by = 7.7

Kobe catch and shoot with a solid defender close by = 7

Kobe catch and shoot with a lock down defender close by = 6.7

^^thats the logic of shooting in real life and should be the logic in any basketball game.

This would force realistic shooting percentage based on the players abilities, the guy on the sticks(skills), the defender's abilities, the defenders proximity to the shooter, the guy on the sticks of the defender(skills).

You dont just force x% on everyone based on nba stats without factoring in the fact that guys were defended well or not.

If you can't play defense or dont want to play defense in real life. a NBA player would destroy you and their fg% would be in the high 60's, 70's. bigs with post game would be in the 70's to 90's. The same should be said for video game basketball. Its up to the defense to make me miss more often.