View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #48
mykelmosinee
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
Very few of the designers and developers are worried about the money. The reality is most are gamers themselves who want to build a game they'd want to play. They are not blind to their shortcomings but are attempting to do the best they can inside the real world parameters they work within.

I know we have some developers of other games here and they can explain it better. The gist of it is though, everything normal people think should be a quick fix tends to be far more complex and requiring more time than you can guess. When you realize that development hours are not infinite, they are a finite resource (especially in a yearly release) and so you have to pick and choose what you can realistically do.

Massive games like Madden have millions and millions of lines of code that affect hundreds of different systems within the game. Changes to one can cause unforeseen issues in others that then must be fixed and that time doesn't come out of thin air it comes out of other development time. We look at things in very large scale, for instance "fix wind in CFM" seems like an easy fix. The reality is there are multiple systems in play there encompassing different teams that require each to do work. .

I am actually in a train of though that believes that Madden has become too large to be a yearly release game. It has so many games within the game that require very different focuses from a development standpoint. Think about this for a second, NBA 2k and The Show both had around 12 patches last release. Everyone points to Madden releasing a "broke" game, but I continue to contend the release cycle for sports games is unsustainable for developers to deliver a product that meets their consumers expectations on release. I am not trying to absolve EA and Madden of blame, I am trying to say that the whole genre of sports titles needs to re evaluate what is actually possible.
And yet, EA put out how many patches? The fact that they do so little to fix all that is broken, while being a huge company, is telling.
The "other companies" spend MORE money developing their sports games, do FAR more communication with their customers, and keep a steady stream of fixes for known problems.
EA mostly disappears (except some Twitter interactions) as soon as the game released...then we wait, many times for MONTHS, before we finally maybe have what we SHOULD have had the day we purchased their game. And a lot of the issues don't ever get fixed.
And it becomes rinse and repeat, to the point where this has somehow become ACCEPTABLE to the point where people are even defending this?? It's crazy.
The people that continue to accept this and get pissed off when people call EA out on it, are exactly why it continues.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk