View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #494
timhere1970
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Madden's future of CFM is alarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
They count on that feeling from people, obviously. And these YouTubers with MUT channels contribute to the overall "Look what cool **** I got! You can get it too!" push...and while both can evoke the same feelings in some people, it's still not the definition of gambling.

Again, I reference old packs of baseball cards we'd used to go down to the store and buy. Would you consider that gambling?
No, you are right. It is not gambling by definition. It is very similiar emotionally and human response. It is the same in that sense and the same people that would develop an addiction to gambling are at very high risk of wasting a lot of money on these type of features in games.

As far as buying baseball cards go, i can attest to it's potential at being a problem. I spent 90% of my money between the ages of 8 and 14 on baseball cards. It was disposable income at that point and my parents were still taking care of me so it wasn't a true problem. I remember the highs and lows of opening packs and at 14 i realized i could buy the whole year's set for much less money. Collecting baseball cards became lame at that point. I didn't move on to crack though, so it turned out alright.