Old 11-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Pay to Play in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
If EA learned their lesson from Battlefront 2 you'd think that they would change it instead of continually finding more ways to make it pay to win. Ideally it would be great if they changed based on the backlash to BF2, but it doesn't seem to be deterring them from trying to squeeze any penny they can out of their customers.

I don't see them prioritizing the gamer over their potential profit in that situation at all and that's a bit worrisome since they own the rights to the only football game and they make the best soccer game each year.
It is very hard to pivot a AAA game quickly. Battlefront II is a massive game, and asking for a massive change in the game's economic model in mere weeks is not realistic. If they do change the game - I doubt they do, it's Star Wars, it's going to make money hand-over fist - it's going to take a title update, and it won't come out until like March or April at the earliest.

Realistically, I can't imagine we'll see a pronounced shift in how the game industry by-and-large is doing things until the middle of next year, but I think we will see one. We've been seeing pretty significant and more organized media and community pushback against exploitative micro-transactions and in-game economies this fall - there's been significant and growing negative feedback on how Shadow of War, Forza Motorsport 7, Battlefront II, and Call Of Duty: WWII have built microtransactions into their games. Games which are close to finished or just gone gold don't have time to react to that pushback. Projects which still have a ways to go to the finish line still have time to pivot. Things like loot boxes aren't going to just up and go away, though - they make too much money - but they will be changed to be more palatable, less exploitative, and less compromising of games' design.