Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Pay to Play in Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by fballturkey
Forza I especially don’t know what the fuss is about, because you can drive any car in the game (besides some DLC ones which are one of the times I’m ok with DLC because the cost offsets the developmental/licensing costs) in free mode, and the rewards in career mode are good enough to keep you going without ever spending a dime. The main problem for Forza is that people don’t up the race length to long which is where the game feels balanced both for gameplay and rewards.
Specific to Forza (because I was a big fan of the series at one point) - Turn 10 compromised the game design to get loot boxes in.

One of the best-designed features from previous Forza games IMO was how the game handled driving assists. As a new player, you started with all the driving assists enabled - anti-lock brakes, automatic shifting with clutch assist, optimal driving line, etc. etc. As you improved your driving skills, you could turn these assists off one-by-one, and as you did so the game increased your credit rewards for racing on a higher difficulty. It's a simple but effective way to handle ramping up player skill.

That's gone now. The bonuses for turning off the assists are gone. Instead Turn 10 replaced those with credit modifiers found in crates - night racing mode, rain racing mode, etc. You get bonus credits for using these modifiers during races, which let you buy more loot boxes. It doesn't really make much sense, it doesn't help or incentivize new players get better at the game to become great players in online races, which is the direction that game is trending in given the existence of official FM racing ladders now.

This is the sort of stuff we're seeing the strongest push-back against with respect to loot boxes / micro-transactions in 2017: stuff that undermines the actual meat-and-potatoes of playing and mastering the game. This is the sort of stuff I don't want to see - and I doubt we will see - in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove