View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 10:41 AM   #16
Blzer
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: The Good Doctor (ABC)

See, yesterday's episode is an example of what I would call 'shaky.'

You have the [now separated] twins story line that goes back-and-forth I don't know how many times: first with like one waking and the other not, then the one in a coma is rendered dead and if they don't unplug her then the other would die, then she doesn't die when unplugged but the other is still dying so the way to save her is to conjoin them again, then the other miraculously wakes up and now the longer-awoken one is getting twice the amount of blood readings into her system and is killing her, then they have to rush to separate them again so that the shorter-awoken one can survive... it was just one thing after another, something that you would see in a House episode (speaking of which, nice little nod with "house" being one of the three words that girl had to remember).

Then Jessica drops a bombshell on Melendez, breaking up with him without him having any say in the matter that she would be taking him away from his aspirations of being a father (I'm certain this isn't over though, that would be too soon). Jared comes back only to be chastised by Andrews and gets looked at funny in the surgery room like this would be an uncomfortably toxic environment to return to after he and his attorney throw down on some old cases (I don't understand why he would want to go back to basically being a student at a hospital either, at least for the time being). The dialogue between Shaun and his colleagues were a bit disjointed throughout the episode, almost as if it really should have taken place in like one scene rather than five different ones. Also, as much as I was for that first kiss, I would have loved if Lea just gave Shaun a nice hug there at the end, for them being great friends with a little more connection than not.

The real positive in this episode was Claire. She definitely is the Cameron (House) of this show, but in my opinion she serves her role better. She never comes off as bratty, needy, or overly emotional. She can be as passionate as to provide sympathy for patients and yet be as aggressive as being able to stand up for herself and speak her mind as needed. She has also connected with Shaun in (what you might agree with JayBee) a more natural relationship among caring acquaintances than that between Shaun and Lea, and when she says she would miss him you truly believe that.

Glassman seems a little whipped recently, but I have enjoyed his presence as well for nearly the same reasons as Claire. I hope Kalu restores faith with the rest of the group, as well as Shaun for ditching out a couple of days. Melendez has also been great, but bogged down with the "child" story line. We'll see where they all go from here.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60