View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
OhMrHanky
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Looking for Catching Mechanics Help with M18

Hmm, yeah, idk about some of these posts. I understand the OP being unfamiliar with the new catch mechanics, but really, that’s it. If u lob deep and your qb has good deep acc and your wr beats his man AND has better speed than the CB, u should RAC catch to make sure your wr tries to catch in stride and keep going. I’ve actually come to attempt most deep balls with RAC catch for just that reason, I want them to catch in stride and keep going. That being said, sometimes the ball is just under thrown or something, and u can’t RAC catch, or maybe the game gives a bad catch animation and the DB catches u and tackles u or knocks the ball out with a hit or something. Sometimes, when u want to RAC catch deep, u might suddenly realize, ‘crap, it’s underthrown, DB might catch me, gotta go Aggressive Catch’ and press Y and fight the DB for it. Legit, the different catch types play diff roles in catching diff passes and make the game more dynamic.

And, to the person talking about screens, I can tell u what I do 95% of the time. As the qb, wait for the RB to make his route to the outside for the screen. Throw it almost immediately on this cut. Don’t wait for him to get open. Don’t wait to see if a defender is there. Just throw it on the cut. Give it a ‘double tap’ of the screen button so that he gives it a little loft and touch on the pass. Immediately, press X for RAC catch. That’s it. That’s all u have to do on screens. Now, u have to see where your blocking is and make the play. But, this will at least throw a decent pass and catch for the screen so u don’t have a possession catch.

Some people don’t dig the ‘new’ catching system, but I love it. It gives u that little extra choice of how to catch the ball at the moment of truth and can make a big difference what happens next. If you’ve been hesitant to use it because ‘I don’t want to press another button for the catch’ or something, lol, you are missing out on some extra ‘gameplay abilities’ that truly can change certain outcomes.

Again, on those deep balls, I have Julio Jones, and while he’s a great spec catch guy, if he has a few steps on his DB because of his speed, and I can tell it’s a good throw, I instantly hit that X RAC button, so that he catches in stride and continues on for the TD. I don’t just spam Y for aggressive catch because he’s got a high spec catch, it all depends on the specific play as it develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by OhMrHanky; 01-18-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove