Old 03-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #514
ggsimmonds
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: EA Sports Madden 18 Dev Tweets

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
What you're actually seeing with Jackson is a footwork problem. He doesn't open his lead foot to the receiver as much as he should, and his hips don't turn through the throw, and thus his upper body can't turn as far as it wants too. This means he has to over extend his shoulder and his wrist follow through is exaggerated. It costs him velocity and accuracy on deep passes. Garoppolo has a very similar problem. CM Hooe sent me a really cool video breakdown of Garoppolo's issue, I'll try to remember to post it later when I get time.

Wrist action is amount of energy transferred from the last fulcrum before the throw. Your feet, legs, hips, core, shoulder, and elbow create initial velocity, but your wrist creates spin. Spin reduces deceleration in the air by moving air rather than allowing it to build up in front of the football. If you think of air as a piece of wood and a football as a drillbit, the QBs "arm strength" is the pressure the user is applying to the drill, while the wrist action is the spin of the drill bit.

EDIT: Here's that video. It says everything I've said about Garoppolo but with visual aid and he understands it better than I do, so he explains it better too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymIOgCfa9pY&t=29s
Thanks, I'll watch the video when I get home. But in the meantime, I would like to clarify something.

I noticed his poor footwork. I described it to a friend like this in response to him saying analysts were just nitpicking:
"His arm does too much of the work when he throws. I've seen him throw when his front foot is almost directly under his chin. When you watch a guy with good footwork throw, what happens is he kinda plants his back foot, puts his front foot forward, then turns his hips and shifts his body weight to that front foot; this is what gives you the velocity. That's why Lamar's passes flutter. Did you watch him at the combine on youtube? And I think that is why his passes kind of sail on him, he flips his wrist kinda like how you do when you shoot a free throw. He does too much of this (motions with my hand)"

I quoted myself almost word for word because I want to make sure I wasn't giving out misinformation. I described it accurately right? He is trying to compensate for bad footwork by doing "too much" with his arm/wrist?

But when a scout says wrist action they are talking about something at a specific singular moment in the throwing motion. Lamar does bad things with his wrists during his throwing motion, but its a byproduct of poor footwork instead of a separate "wrist action" issue, is that right?

(I know this is terribly off topic but its not exactly Madden's busy season )