View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #13
ggsimmonds
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Is adaptive a.i. in commentary possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Maybe, but what I would really like is for the commentary to remember what you did the previous year, and what your long term trend has been. Additionally, I want to know if my defense is leading the NFL, or if my QB is the reining MVP.

I don't care if Jimmy Garoppolo learned under Tom Brady in 2022 after he's won two MVPs. I want to hear "one of the best in the business, two time MVP winner Jimmy Garoppolo," you know? (don't laugh, btw... it's coming IRL in a couple years). Give me something up do date with what my franchise has been doing. If the Browns have the best defense in 2023 I want to hear about it in week 1 of 2024. "Last years number one defense has a pass rush you just can't really stop." Whatever. I'm not a line writer. But you get the point.
Its the same principle as my example. Rather than having a lot of real world/player specific lines, they should add a bunch of generic lines that have triggers. When the trigger is activated, that line, along with the player name, is called upon.

So for your example, the line would be "one of the best in the business, two time MVP winner"
The trigger is unsurprisingly when the starting QB has won two mvp awards. If that condition is met, the line and player name get called on. So what we hear in game would be "one of the best in the business, two time MVP winner Jimmy Garoppolo."

This is basically what NBA 2k does. To avoid the awkward transitions between the player name and flavor commentary, you do some tricks. Again, NBA 2k is great at this. Example:
Play by play guy: The starting QB is Jimmy Garoppolo
Color guy: Oh yeah this guy is one of the best in the business. Two MVP awards, he is a proven winner and they are hoping for another good season out of him

So because one guy says the name and the other guy provides the flavor text, it can create for a smooth transition. Because when you are splicing together different lines from the same voice talent it just sounds bad at times. ESPN 2k5 is an example of this coincidentally.