Old 03-25-2018, 07:45 PM   #44
TheWarmWind
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: PS4 Pro 1080p Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
I have been back and forth on the HDR on or off thing myself with 18. I just feel like the picture looks like it has a haze over it with HDR on in 18.

Here are two screenshots I took in RTTS. Top one is HDR on and bottom one is HDR off. What do you guys think? I also have Game Mode on. I have a Samsung KS8000.

Top one for sure. Look at the top left of the picture. With HDR off, it just looks like a white blur. With HDR on, you can distinctly see the lights, the cloud behind it, and the sky around the cloud.

HDR isn't as big of a deal as electronics manufacturers make it out to be. There is actually a lot of lying and deception about HDR because companies want it to be the next "it" thing to buy. Truth be told when they do those side to side comparisons in the store, the display showing non-HDR content has the contrast turned way down just so the HDR display looks better by comparison.

Electronics manufacturers want to tell you that HDR will make your screen look "more vibrant" because that's a buzzword that helps sell stuff, but fact of the matter is that opening up the brightness delta in a picture will just as often make colours look washed out or muted, because that's what happens in real life.

I totally get finding non-HDR content preferable, limiting the brightness delta really lets those colours pop, and is a technique used by artists and photographers to get that "better than real life" look. However, HDR is superior technology, and while you might not like the look of it as much, it will give you a truer result, especially around those little details like in the top left of those photos.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 03-25-2018 at 07:48 PM.