View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 10:21 PM   #18
Sausage
MVP

OVR: 18
Re: TT Isle of Man: Ride On The Edge Review (PS4 Pro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
19:59.517, Bruce Anstey, Supersport, 6:01 p.m. (ET), March 26, 2018, first lap in Time Trial.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! Broke 20. Finally!

That was with two falls and soft-shoeing it on the Mountain section, out of shaking hands, thumping chest and sweating palms more than anything. So rewarding!

It's weird: The maxim of staying relaxed works in this game -- to a certain point. I find that I don't want to grip the controller too tightly or clench my jaw too much. But I'm slow if I'm too relaxed. I need to stay dialed in and calm, but not chilled.

Maybe that's why I suck at this game and most racers when altered. Just too numb.

Sub-19, here I come. Might take awhile, but I will get there.

As for visual settings, I use motion blur normal, RGB desync on, dynamic view off, camera shake 100 percent.

Good job at the under 20 (I’ll be working my way to that soon). From another forum:

*Motion blur is off purely so I can see down the track better - the game looks "nicer" with it on.

*RGB "desychronisation" is the chromatic aberration effect, where the colour channels separate giving individual misaligned red, green and blue silhouettes on screen - a popular and elegantly simple "damage" feedback effect in games. It only occurs when you bin it.

*Dynamic view is just look-to-apex, as noted already. The three options that aren't "off" basically dictate how soon the movement occurs relative to your corner approach - I could barely notice a difference between those three settings because of how disorienting it is. I turned it off as well. (But it actually stayed on until I went to the main menu and started the track session again.)

I turned camera shake down to 30 and didn't re-visit it. To be honest, I haven't properly compared it back to back.

As a concept, I don't think it's particularly realistic because your eyes are pretty well suspended and your brain does a great job of smoothing things out as your head rattles about anyway. Excluding heavy impacts, and stuff actually physically blocking my view, I've never had difficulty seeing where I'm going on a motorbike in real life.

On that basis, adding movement to the screen that your brain can't filter out (because your inner ear isn't moving with it) is not a good idea in my opinion. A little bit of dynamism at the edge of the screen probably does add a bit of drama in the name of immersion, but that could be done by other means. I suspect you'd be faster with it off / low.