Old 03-30-2018, 03:00 AM   #16
CM Hooe
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: QB Accuracy Chart from PFF - CFM Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Got any specific reasons why? I ask because NFL teams actually use some of their paid for stuff (although 1. NFL teams use all the scouting services and 2. Clearly some NFL teams are doing something wrong with their scouting).

I haven’t seen too many problems with them with what I’ve looked at. For example, their qb ranking seems fairly legit.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...er-grades-2017

I can’t imagine many people having very many complaints about that ranking. I personally have about an 80% agreement with it.
Most of my issue is with the PFF final grades. They have a smell of unverifiable arbitrariness about them foremost, but more importantly they work backwards from the final result of the play to assign a grade to a player independent of play calling and assignments, both of which obviously can dramatically impact how a player may approach a given play. The advanced stats are better, but can be similarly misleading for different reasons.

With respect to making Madden player ratings better I have always been and continue to be a strong proponent of actual pro football scouting data driving the ratings, a la how FBGratings operated (I was and still am an FBGratings guy, even though I haven't spoken to Dan in a couple years now, I hope he is well). It is my wish that at some point Tiburon will license data from a reputable scouting firm such as National or BLESTO to generate ratings for the entire NFL player population, then rebalance the tuning values of the core game engine to accommodate for the wildly different player ratings file which will fall out from that data. In my mind that would be a far more authentic approach to creating a given game's roster file than a game designer thrown educated darts at a wall, those educated darts having been informed by bad data.

OT EDIT: as to PFF's quarterback rankings, some of the guys in the Top 10 are incredibly overvalued based on their individual performances in 2017 thanks to their teams enjoying success overshadowing that. The most obvious example of a player being overrated in this list based on results as opposed to individual talent is Case Keenum. Keenum was absolutely not a Top 10 NFL quarterback in the NFL by individual talent level in 2017. He's smart, mobile, and fearless, but his limitations were plainly obvious any time he demonstrated his mediocre arm strength throwing fluttering mildly accurate 50-50 jump balls to the best starting WR combination in the league last season. The talent around him enabled his success, not the other way around.

Still speaking to PFF's final ranking list - Alex Smith is similarly overrated, and Ben Roethlisberger individually was a shell of his former self last year as well. Meanwhile, Cam Newton is criminally underrated.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 03-30-2018 at 03:17 AM.