View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 07:27 PM   #1
jyoung
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Speed & Acceleration Ratings Differential Needs to Be More Noticeable in NBA 2K19

I've spent a lot of time this year playing power forward in Pro-Am with my 6'8" 250, 6'9" 250, and 7'0" 245 MyPlayers, and whenever I've been matched up against a 7'3" 340 power forward, I've felt like the 20 to 30 point advantage that MyPlayers have in the speed and acceleration ratings just wasn't being properly represented during gameplay.

My feelings about this area of the gameplay were confirmed last week when 2K Lab posted a video of a 90-speed player running baseline to baseline against a player with the same height and weight but the speed rating gradually being lowered in 5 point intervals:

This small amount of player separation that happens during a footrace makes large speed rating differentials matter very little during gameplay, especially when you consider how easy it is in 2K18 for a trailing defender to grab hold of an offensive player and "piggyback" onto him while riding hip-to-hip all the way up the court in an unbreakable two-man canimation.

If NBA 2K19 is going to continue to let people customize the height and weight of their MyPlayers, then the on-court gameplay needs to display a much more noticeable speed differential between a 6'8" 250 power forward and a 7'3" 340 power forward. Otherwise, it's just going to be another year of everyone making their players as tall and heavy as possible, knowing that they won't be at any real disadvantage when it comes to on-court athleticism.

Last edited by jyoung; 04-16-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove