Old 05-05-2018, 05:55 PM   #152
Big FN Deal
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Rex Dickson Leaves EA Tiburon and the Madden Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
I'm big into eSports, I watch hours & hours, probably more year-round hours than I watch NFL + NBA combined. And I am convinced EA is making a mistake to invest so heavily into trying to make Madden a leading eSport. For a variety of reasons, I think it's never going to happen. It'll never be more than a niche audience, in my opinion, and they'd get a better return on their dollars investing elsewhere.

Spoiler
Agreed, over the years I've been posting similar sentiments, as someone that has previously played Madden competitively for money and other prizes, I couldn't see such a niche' experience being successful in broader ESports, without a major overhaul to flat out complete rebuild from scratch. I often compare it to online poker but with Madden they can't have that "Widow Maker" moment that makes the masses feel anyone willing to apply themselves can compete and win, due to the current structure of the game.

@howboutdat, I'm not sure how relevant the "fight" is from any Creative Director or anyone of that ilk, we have seen this type people come and go yet Madden has been Madden. For example I remember Ian stating how he worked so hard personally to add in surprise onside kicks to some past Madden. Kudos to Ian for the effort but at the end of the day that didn't impact the overall game or future of the franchise. Point being at the end of the day, whoever EA hires into these type positions are just there to put their creative spin on tried and true EA Football/Madden, not emulate NFL football.