View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #19
RogueHominid
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33
Re: If You Were in Charge of Madden: What Is Your Five-Year Plan (Roundtable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
We saw this issue in the QB scramble thread. You offered three strategies that help stop scrambling QBs. Strategies carry with them risk/reward. They may leave leave other areas open and allow other plays to work much better. But this is how competitions works.

What was the solution by the sim guys in the thread? Go into attributes and change the scrambling QB into a player that won't scramble so much. It's what I';ve called paint-by-numbers boring. There is no learning, no improving skills. They just dial in the results they want and make them happen. There is no risk/reward.

I'm with you. I'd rather a game adapt to condition on the field and opponent tendencies to utilize the same tools the User does. That leaves open the risk/reward opportunities to counter what your opponent is doing. If the game were to start doing that, it would render the "adjust attributes" solution even more meaningless.
As one of the trait-editing advocates, I'll simply say that adjusting from Mobile to Balanced simply fixes whatever EA broke in the patch that caused QBs to scramble at twice the old rate. Balanced simply plays as Mobile used to, so Balanced trait guys will run on you and force you to do all the "learning/adjusting/trying hard" that you valorize above. I just played Rogers, who is Balanced, and he took off on me 9x. I had to spy him almost every play at the end of the game.

So I think your characterization of the fix is a bit reductive and not entirely charitable. Granted, editing traits is not for everyone, as it's a little extra work, but it's not like it makes for lazy gaming, either. Just sayin'.