View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #49
Levistick
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: So mike wang gonna change the jumpshot meter every year?

There seems to be a disconnect with people discussing the shot meter. For example, every post I see is about online MyPlayer.

I'm an offline MyGM player. And while I am not a master basketball strategist, I know basketball pretty well. And what is frustrating for me is that I can get my high rated shooters, open clean looks, often from their "hot zones", and get what -should- be a perfect release, only to have it clank off the rim as a bad shot. Meanwhile, the CPU can drain shots at will, even with tight defense, and hands in faces.

Is it a problem with the shot meter or the game balance itself? idk. But in my experiences with the game, it feels like I have to be wide open to even have a CHANCE to make the shot, whereas CPU needs to be tightly covered just to have a chance to miss. The CPU routinely shoots a good 10-15% higher than me, and that's with me taking good, clean, open looks with highly rated shooters.

And with the shot meter, it seems that greens are damn near impossible to get, no matter how well I know my player's release. So I just wonder what is the point of a shot meter, or even timing your release period, if it doesn't really matter how well you time your release? It seems like the game is gonna determine what happens with the shot anyways?

Everyone is going to come with the typical "git gud" type of response or whatever, and I know I'm not the best 2K player, but I know what I'm doing. I've been playing NBA 2K since probably 2K2 or 2K3. I know all about release points, and learning my player's releases, and learning about hot zones, and how to get my guys open looks. I'm not just randomly chucking up shots and expecting them to go. I work to get high quality shots, and know the strengths and weaknesses of my players and adjust accordingly.

And maybe my concerns aren't so much with the shot meter, but something else in the game design itself. But shooting has always felt like a crap shoot with me, shot meter or not. It's made NBA 2K one of the most fun but most frustrating gaming experiences I know.
M. Fultz: 15pts., 4 ast. pts.
J. Suggs: 14 pts.
R.J. Hampton: 14 pts.
M. Bamba: 13 pts., 14 reb.