Home

So mike wang gonna change the jumpshot meter every year?

This is a discussion on So mike wang gonna change the jumpshot meter every year? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #49
Rookie

Levistick's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: So mike wang gonna change the jumpshot meter every year?

There seems to be a disconnect with people discussing the shot meter. For example, every post I see is about online MyPlayer.

I'm an offline MyGM player. And while I am not a master basketball strategist, I know basketball pretty well. And what is frustrating for me is that I can get my high rated shooters, open clean looks, often from their "hot zones", and get what -should- be a perfect release, only to have it clank off the rim as a bad shot. Meanwhile, the CPU can drain shots at will, even with tight defense, and hands in faces.

Is it a problem with the shot meter or the game balance itself? idk. But in my experiences with the game, it feels like I have to be wide open to even have a CHANCE to make the shot, whereas CPU needs to be tightly covered just to have a chance to miss. The CPU routinely shoots a good 10-15% higher than me, and that's with me taking good, clean, open looks with highly rated shooters.

And with the shot meter, it seems that greens are damn near impossible to get, no matter how well I know my player's release. So I just wonder what is the point of a shot meter, or even timing your release period, if it doesn't really matter how well you time your release? It seems like the game is gonna determine what happens with the shot anyways?

Everyone is going to come with the typical "git gud" type of response or whatever, and I know I'm not the best 2K player, but I know what I'm doing. I've been playing NBA 2K since probably 2K2 or 2K3. I know all about release points, and learning my player's releases, and learning about hot zones, and how to get my guys open looks. I'm not just randomly chucking up shots and expecting them to go. I work to get high quality shots, and know the strengths and weaknesses of my players and adjust accordingly.

And maybe my concerns aren't so much with the shot meter, but something else in the game design itself. But shooting has always felt like a crap shoot with me, shot meter or not. It's made NBA 2K one of the most fun but most frustrating gaming experiences I know.
M. Fultz: 15pts., 4 ast. pts.
J. Suggs: 14 pts.
R.J. Hampton: 14 pts.
M. Bamba: 13 pts., 14 reb.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #50
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataman5
Love the detail you've put in and i couldn't have said it better esp in bold part.
To add to all that the game has TOO MANY GOOD REAL Bball elements in it you may not have to see it as an identical animation for an identical situation yet there is for real and you gotta have that feeling, a lot of the guys are missing that feeling, as one of the greatest devs of 2k Czar always say "don't play video games play basketball".

Respect the game and it will respect you back believe me.

Either shots, crossovers or a simple layup or a pullup or a post move, you can either choose to do them as it's just a video game or as it's real bball and 2k gives you that as long as you mash the motor skills and bball mind together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolenceFight
One of my favorite moves that I've discovered is insanely simplistic. When someone stops my drive, and I step back...I stand there for a split second. They almost always close out and get blown right by when I go. It's adding literally a pause to the most used move in 2k, but it throws the defensive rhythm off because instead of 1-2-3, it's 1-2-and-3. Stuff like that is really effective, it's the mind game element people don't use on the game because it's not taught.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Operation Sports mobile app
It's something I talk about all the time. The Devs have a great rhythm system in place right now. Open shot doesn't always mean it should go in. Your team rhythm and player being set is so important.

I was showing this in another thread. Moving the ball around is so important. Passing up open shots to get wide open shots. Make a world of difference.

https://youtu.be/kanoMPFn8-s?t=41m15s
https://youtu.be/kanoMPFn8-s?t=46m11s
https://youtu.be/uKslW6pNDFo?t=41m24s
https://youtu.be/uKslW6pNDFo?t=16m30s
https://youtu.be/uKslW6pNDFo?t=19m31s

Last edited by jeebs9; 07-05-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #51
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistick
There seems to be a disconnect with people discussing the shot meter. For example, every post I see is about online MyPlayer.

I'm an offline MyGM player. And while I am not a master basketball strategist, I know basketball pretty well. And what is frustrating for me is that I can get my high rated shooters, open clean looks, often from their "hot zones", and get what -should- be a perfect release, only to have it clank off the rim as a bad shot. Meanwhile, the CPU can drain shots at will, even with tight defense, and hands in faces.

Is it a problem with the shot meter or the game balance itself? idk. But in my experiences with the game, it feels like I have to be wide open to even have a CHANCE to make the shot, whereas CPU needs to be tightly covered just to have a chance to miss. The CPU routinely shoots a good 10-15% higher than me, and that's with me taking good, clean, open looks with highly rated shooters.

And with the shot meter, it seems that greens are damn near impossible to get, no matter how well I know my player's release. So I just wonder what is the point of a shot meter, or even timing your release period, if it doesn't really matter how well you time your release? It seems like the game is gonna determine what happens with the shot anyways?

Everyone is going to come with the typical "git gud" type of response or whatever, and I know I'm not the best 2K player, but I know what I'm doing. I've been playing NBA 2K since probably 2K2 or 2K3. I know all about release points, and learning my player's releases, and learning about hot zones, and how to get my guys open looks. I'm not just randomly chucking up shots and expecting them to go. I work to get high quality shots, and know the strengths and weaknesses of my players and adjust accordingly.

And maybe my concerns aren't so much with the shot meter, but something else in the game design itself. But shooting has always felt like a crap shoot with me, shot meter or not. It's made NBA 2K one of the most fun but most frustrating gaming experiences I know.
Shooting be a crapshoot, relatively speaking. Even in PNO (I don't WHY I decided to turn on shot feedback), I get plenty of Good Releases, Wide Open notifications, but it feels like I can go 5 shots in a row before I hit something. Truthfully, the shot that FINALLY goes is usually some slight early/late, lightly contested shot. I hate knowing that a less than perfect shot goes went rather the my last 5 shots where I had good shot selection. Like you, it's rare that I get an excellent release.

Truthfully, shot meter should only be for offline use.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2018, 03:17 AM   #52
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levistick

All of the meter & shooting complaints are in regards to Pro-Am and Park, greens are entirely too easy to get in those modes with all the badges stacking ontop of one another. You'll see teams routinely going 20-25 from three, and not just standard threes but shooting those percentages from behind the hash marks.

My problem with Mike Wang is that in here and on twitter he'll say the shooting is fine and doesn't need much tweaking, yet in the Pro-Am league the build they play on the shooting is a lot more difficult to the point that most teams score most of their points in the paint. That lets me know that they know the shooting is completely broken in it's current form and they know that people tuning into their league would wonder why two teams combine to shoot 30-45 from three in what's supposed to be the pro-league.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #53
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourHairlineTrash
All of the meter & shooting complaints are in regards to Pro-Am and Park, greens are entirely too easy to get in those modes with all the badges stacking ontop of one another. You'll see teams routinely going 20-25 from three, and not just standard threes but shooting those percentages from behind the hash marks.

My problem with Mike Wang is that in here and on twitter he'll say the shooting is fine and doesn't need much tweaking, yet in the Pro-Am league the build they play on the shooting is a lot more difficult to the point that most teams score most of their points in the paint. That lets me know that they know the shooting is completely broken in it's current form and they know that people tuning into their league would wonder why two teams combine to shoot 30-45 from three in what's supposed to be the pro-league.
I think it's gonna be a different story next year with the shooting. Some players outside of the 2k League have scrimmaged or played on the 2k League Sliders and they have been praising it. I think the shooting is going to be nerfed A LOT next year for 2k19 to possibly prepare those for the 2nd season of the 2k League. It's gonna definitely piss the community off but as long as Beluba and company don't cave in and increase percentages people will just have to deal with it. Only bad I see in this is Centers just sitting under the rim or everybody using a Slashing build due to the poor shooting percentages. 2k Should figure out a good balance between the two.

I think the best shooting balance for PRO-AM was NBA 2k16. Park was a tad bit too easy but PRO-AM was just right.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #54
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korrupted
I think it's gonna be a different story next year with the shooting. Some players outside of the 2k League have scrimmaged or played on the 2k League Sliders and they have been praising it. I think the shooting is going to be nerfed A LOT next year for 2k19 to possibly prepare those for the 2nd season of the 2k League. It's gonna definitely piss the community off but as long as Beluba and company don't cave in and increase percentages people will just have to deal with it. Only bad I see in this is Centers just sitting under the rim or everybody using a Slashing build due to the poor shooting percentages. 2k Should figure out a good balance between the two.

I think the best shooting balance for PRO-AM was NBA 2k16. Park was a tad bit too easy but PRO-AM was just right.

That's what everyone said going from 2k17 to 2k18, that shooting would be harder and that wasn't the case. There's no assurances that they will use the 2k18 league sliders for the retail version of 2k19, especially since the baseline has been set and shooting 80-90% on threes when open is the expectation. If someone is open they expect to make the three no matter how many they've made in a row, being open and getting rewarded with a green is now the mindset of 2k players for 2 years, I just can't see them changing that when they had the chance to correct it going from 2k17 to 18. If they wanted to get the community ready for a drastic change like that they should apply those sliders to the current game so there's no shock but that wont happen.

They need to find a balance, but that's going to be hard if they don't put limits on the size of the players. A big problem with the game is that floor spacing is way off because PGs under 6'4 and centers under 7'3 are pointless pro-am, but in the league they put a limit on the size of players by position. The speed of passes needs to increase if they want more organic & realistic shooting to come off ball movement, guys can still run around the court just chasing the ball on defense while mashing steal button. They need to increase physicallity under the rim for bigs, that would tone down the current problem in the league with the guys just standing under the rim.

Also, the court seems too small, they say it's accurate size but I've overlayed the 2k cam pics with NBA replays from the same angle and it looks off, using the backboard & rim for scale the 2k court seems too narrow.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #55
Pro

Quote:
If they wanted to get the community ready for a drastic change like that they should apply those sliders to the current game so there's no shock but that wont happen.
1000000% agree. There's no support for 2k18 so I wasnt expecting it to happen. Definitely would've been a great idea though. We'll see how it goes in a few months.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2018, 03:46 PM   #56
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Honestly, Mike Wang has made a complete mess out of the shooting and expectations in this franchise over the last 2-3 yrs. Greens having a 100% completion rate, coupled with the badges and ranges people can shoot from has warped the sense of shooting so much that if he were to tone it down and make shooting a little more skill based people would complain that the game is broken. The shooting is so broken in this franchise now that I can't really see it getting better because "greeeeeens" are now part of the culture of the game, every sharpshooters go to move is the snatch back into a 30 footer, it's hilarious to be honest.

Once he caved into the guys on Twitter it was over for any kind of skill based shooting.

That's exactly what happened. Not long ago the green releases weren't 100% for a short while and everyone complained about it.

Mike Wang literally cannot win with what he does in regards to shooting with some people.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »