View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #25
gamingwithlogan3
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting/Drafting in Franchise Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadAss33
OK... I am strictly a Franchise player and have learned a few tricks that work for me anyway that i will pass along to you.
Scouting:
1. Scout EVERY League at least 1 time at every position except Goalie. The smaller leagues have less players so you will see the more players in less scouting trips.
2. WHL CHL QMJHL and US DON'T always have the best players.
3. DO NOT get blinded by the potential rating. I use the star system - I will explain later about this. It pays off in the later rounds
4. You need to know your team and EVERY player on it(even the AHL)

Here is how I scout to a T.

I can’t say it enough you need to know your team needs and need to check stats every week. Who is scoring, who is not, who is getting scored on the most (+/-) and so on. This all comes into play when scouting. Pay attention to the stats. If you are getting dominated in the faceoff circle time to draft/trade for a Center who had great faceoff skill with high potential.

Back to scouting help.

Here is what I call the use of the STAR System

Make sure YOU as the GM are sending you scout to the locations- DO NOT let the computer handle this. If assigned by system you will miss out on the better players late in the draft.

After scouting every locations forwards at least once you get a picture of some players in that location. This is where if you have been watching how your team is playing week in and week out you have some idea a what you need to improve.

I always scout the smaller regions 1st. Less players less times to scout all players. The more players in a location the longer you need to scout that region.

Don’t concentrate on that. WHL, CHL, QMJHL and US will 95% of the time have the most players, but remember they don’t always have the best players.

The STAR system is a sure-fire way to win in the late round drafts As you scout each regions players you reveal more and more of the players abilities.

Whatever you do don’t believe a scout telling you a player is HIGH ELITE after 1 visit, most of the time he is not right.

If you see a player that you like but have only seen 1, pin him to your board and scout that region until he is seen at least 4 times. That will give you the best chance at the right decision to either keep scouting to find out 100% or take the chance and draft him.

I settle on my 5 pinned players around the trade deadline. Once there I scout ONLY those regions until the player is all green on the star system and the scout has HIGH confidence rating on each category. If he doesn’t pan out then you pin someone else and repeat.

My best pick ever – Boston Bruins Franchise - Year 3 (2019-2020) – Center – Carl Gerbe – 6th Round – National League (14 total Forwards) High Elite (76 Overall) As a rookie. I am 2 years down the road and he is up to an 86 and my 2nd line Center.

There is no perfect system and a lot of luck is involved but as long as you do the star system for the later rounds your farm team will be loaded with tons of potential NHL players of all caliber.

Also remember some players may rate out low in the upper 50’s to low 60’s but have elite potential. Let them develop in the minors. Some pay off, some don’t and Most can be used as trade bait to get a already developed player. And last but not least there is NO chance at rebuilding a team with only draft picks, You must make trades and sign FREE agents to compete.

I LOVE this game. The best NHL ever!!!

Hope this helps a little
Thank you, this helped a lot for me. I will have to try this for my Coyotes Franchise Mode for my youtube channel. Im currently just getting into season 3. And i have been having trouble drafting prospects. My best prospect in the season 2 draft was a guy with 56 overall low top 9 f. awful. Season 1. we went to the 2nd round and got eliminated by the ducks. and then the second year we went to the stanley cup final and got kicked out by the penguins in 7 .
Advertisements - Register to remove