View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #1639
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

This will be kind of a random stuff post, I apologize for that.

Around the NCAA: Playoff Watch

As a reminder, here's the Champ Week Slate:

C-USA: Rice (8-4, 7-2) vs. #17 Western Kentucky (10-2, 8-1)
AAC: Navy (8-4, 6-3) vs. #5 UCF (10-2, 8-1)
SEC: #6 Florida (10-2, 7-1) vs. #1 Ole Miss (12-0, 8-0)
MWC: San Diego State (8-4, 5-3) vs. #11 Air Force (10-2, 8-0)
PAC-12: #19 Washington (8-4, 6-3) vs. #4 UCLA (10-2, 8-1)
ACC: #20 Miami (9-3, 7-2) vs. #12 Notre Dame (10-2, 8-1)
BIG TEN: #8 Michigan State (10-2, 8-1) vs. #2 Wisconsin (10-2, 8-1)
BIG 12: #9 Oklahoma (10-2, 6-2) vs. #18 Houston (8-3, 7-1)
MAC: Bowling Green (6-6, 5-4) vs. #16 Eastern Michigan (11-1, 8-1)

And here's where we stand:

VIRTUAL LOCK
#1 Ole Miss (12-0)

WIN AND IN
#2 Wisconsin (11-1)/#8 Michigan State (10-2)
#3 UCLA (10-2)
#6 Florida (10-2)

WAIT AND SEE
#9 Oklahoma (10-2)
#5 UCF (10-2)
#4 Nebraska (10-2) - Idle

IF ALL ELSE FAILS
#7 Texas (10-2) - Idle
#10 Air Force (11-1)
Winner of #12 Notre Dame/#20 Miami (9-3)

After two straight playoffs featuring almost the exact same teams, the playoff race this year features some new blood, which excites me. Further, there is a lot of chaos potential as several results could change the top four during champ week.

What we do know is that the SEC and Big Ten are guaranteed to get at least one team in. We know that Ole Miss, the nation’s only undefeated team, is likely to get in regardless of the results of the SEC Champ Game. We also know that the ACC will likely not get a team in this year.

BEST CASE: If Florida and UCLA win, the only work for me to do is seeding, and that would likely be easy. We’d take the two SEC teams, the Bruins as Pac-12 Champs and the Big 10 winner.

WORST CASE: Ole Miss and Wisconsin win, coupled with losses by UCLA, Oklahoma and UCF. At that point, we’re looking at a three-loss ACC champ or a team that didn’t play in their conference title game, such as Nebraska and Texas, or a mid-major team like Air Force if they win the Mountain West title.

OTHER NOTES: Wisconsin, despite having one loss fewer than everyone else, is in a do or die situation. I don’t think their resume will be enough to snag them a wild card spot if they lose; they played a poor out of conference slate and had a loss to Illinois that was good at the time (they were ranked for a few weeks), but not anymore considering the Illini slumped to 5-7.

While UCF is mathematically still in contention, they’ll need a lot of help. Despite an impressive win on the road against UConn, they have bad losses to .500 Texas A&M and Tulsa teams.

Don’t get distracted by Oklahoma’s number nine ranking. They are very much in the race and are effectively the five seed right now. They need help, but have been good all year and have a Heisman finalist in QB Justyce Tryson. They'll still need help, though: A win coupled with a loss from either UCLA or Florida.

If a team that sat idle enters the conversation, it’s Nebraska. They played a crazy schedule, beating Florida on the road and losing to Oklahoma by three points in September. Their loss to Wisconsin kept them out of the Big 10 title game, but they navigated a very tough schedule with lots of success and are still firmly in the mix with a 10-2 record, their two losses to top ten teams and by a combined two touchdowns. However, sitting home this week might not help their case and they’ll likely need a UCLA loss and an Ole Miss win to have a chance.

Full 2022 Conference Standings

BOLD = CAC Team

Notre Dame (9-3, 7-1)
Miami-FL (9-3, 6-2)
UConn (9-3, 6-2)
Pitt (8-4, 6-3)
Syracuse (8-4, 6-3)
North Carolina (8-4, 6-3)
Clemson (8-4, 5-4)
Florida State (5-7, 4-5)
Georgia Tech (7-5, 4-5)
Boston College (6-6, 4-5)
NC State (5-7, 4-5)
Virginia Tech (6-6, 3-6)
Wake Forest (4-8, 3-6)
Louisville (2-10, 2-7)
Duke (2-10, 2-7)
Virginia (3-9, 1-8)

EAST:
UCF (10-2, 8-1)
Army West Point (8-4, 6-3)
Temple (7-5, 6-3)
ECU (7-5, 6-3)
Cincinnati (5-7, 4-5)
USF (4-8, 3-6)

WEST:
Navy (8-4, 6-3)
Memphis (7-5, 5-4)
Marshall (5-7, 3-6)
Tulsa (6-6, 3-6)
SMU (4-8, 3-6)
Tulane (1-11, 1-8)

EAST:
Houston (8-3, 7-1)
Arkansas State (8-4, 6-2)
West Virginia (7-4, 5-3)
Kansas (6-5, 4-4)
Kansas State (3-9, 2-6)
Iowa State (4-8, 2-6)

WEST:
Oklahoma (10-2, 6-2)
Texas (10-2, 6-2)
Oklahoma St. (4-8, 3-5)
Baylor (5-7, 3-5)
TCU (4-8, 2-6)
Texas Tech (5-7, 2-6)

EAST:
Michigan St. (10-2, 8-1)
Rutgers (8-4, 5-4)
Ohio St. (7-5, 5-4)
Michigan (7-5, 4-5)
Indiana (6-6, 4-5)
Penn St. (4-8, 2-7)
Maryland (2-10, 0-9)

WEST:
Wisconsin (10-2, 8-1)
Nebraska (10-2, 8-1)
Iowa (8-4, 6-3)
Minnesota (9-3, 6-3)
Illinois (5-7, 3-6)
Purdue (3-9, 2-7)
Northwestern (3-9, 2-7)

EAST:
Western Kentucky (10-2, 8-1)
Old Dominion (7-5, 6-3)
Florida Atlantic (4-8, 4-5)
Louisiana Tech (6-6, 4-5)
FIU (4-8, 3-6)
Middle Tennessee St. (2-10, 1-8)

WEST:
Rice (8-4, 7-3)
Texas State (7-5, 6-3)
Southern Miss (8-4, 5-4)
UTEP (6-6, 4-5)
North Texas (5-7, 4-5)
UTSA (4-8, 2-7)

INDEPENDENTS

BYU (8-3)
UMass (2-9)

EAST:
Bowling Green (6-6, 5-4)
Akron (6-6, 5-4)
Miami-OH (5-7, 4-5)
Kent State (5-7, 3-6)
Ohio (2-10, 2-7)
Buffalo (3-9, 2-7)

WEST:
Eastern Michigan (11-1, 8-1)
Northern Illinois (8-4, 6-3)
Central Michigan (6-6, 6-3)
Toledo (7-5, 5-4)
Ball St. (6-6, 5-4)
Western Michigan (4-8, 3-6)

MOUNTAIN:
Air Force (11-1, 8-0)
Wyoming (6-6, 5-3)
Boise St. (6-6, 5-3)
Utah St. (5-7, 3-5)
Colorado St. (5-7, 3-5)
New Mexico (4-7, 2-6)

WEST:
San Diego State (8-4, 5-3)
Hawai’i (7-4, 4-4)
San Jose St. (6-6, 4-4)
Fresno St. (6-6, 4-4)
Nevada (5-7, 3-5)
UNLV (3-9, 2-6)

NORTH:
Washington (8-4, 6-3)
Washington State (8-4, 6-3)
Stanford (7-5, 5-4)
Cal (8-4, 5-4)
Oregon State (6-6, 5-4)
Oregon (7-5, 4-5)

SOUTH:
UCLA (10-2, 8-1)
Utah (6-6, 5-4)
Arizona (4-8, 4-5)
Colorado (5-7, 3-6)
USC (4-8, 2-7)
Arizona St. (3-9, 1-8)

EAST:
Florida (10-2, 7-1)
Tennessee (9-3, 7-1)
Georgia (7-5, 5-3)
Kentucky (5-7, 4-4)
Missouri (6-6, 3-5)
South Carolina (4-8, 2-6)
Vanderbilt (3-9, 1-7)

WEST:
Ole Miss (12-0, 8-0)
Alabama (7-5, 5-3)
Texas A&M (6-6, 4-4)
LSU (7-5, 4-4)
Auburn (5-7, 2-6)
Arkansas (5-7, 2-6)
Mississippi St. (3-9, 2-6)

Troy (6-6, 5-2)
New Mexico St. (7-5, 5-2)
South Alabama (7-5, 5-2)
Georgia St. (7-5, 4-3)
UAB (4-8, 3-4)
UL-Lafayette (6-6, 3-4)
ULM (3-9, 2-5)
Idaho (3-9, 1-6)

UConn defenders Hill, Newton, Mandrell up for national awards

Some good news into an otherwise disappointing second half of the season, as three UConn defenders are up for national awards. Linebacker Mike Hill, currently leading the nation with 108 tackles, is nominated for the Bednarik and Nagurski Awards for the best defensive player in the nation, as well as the Butkus Award for best linebacker. Though Hill's other statistics aren't eye-popping (just one sack and one interception), Hill has been the anchor for a very strong unit most of the season.

Defensive end James Mandrell, currently third in the nation in sacks at eleven, is a Lombardi Award finalist. Though quiet at times this season, the Michigan native, grad student and third-year starter has continued to be a steady force in opposing backfields. Winning may be tricky for Mandrell, however, as Iowa State's Dan Glover is ahead of him with 11.5 sacks and has had a better season overall.

Finally, senior Kent Newton is up for the Thorpe Award, given to the nation's best defensive back, and an award won by the best in UConn history, Jamar Summers and Kent Newton. Newton's seven interceptions are tied for the national lead, despite him opening the year as the number-two corner. Newton blossomed into one of UConn's best defenders throughout the season, assuming command of the top corner spot after injury to classmate Sam Barnett. Like Mandrell, Newton has to contend with Pitt's star corner Tyjuan Monroe, who, despite just five interceptions, has had a better season statistically (20 more tackles and 18 pass breakups compared to Newton's eight).

Finally, wideout/return man Marcus Rodgers is up for the Jet Rodgers award (apt, I know). The junior has returned both a punt and kickoff for a score this year, stabilizing a position long in flux with inconsistencies of Carlton Parker and Jeff McNeal in years past.

Here's a full breakdown of awards finalists (excluding the Heisman, and not writing out stats):

MAXWELL
Justyce Tryson (QB, rSR, Oklahoma)
Stephen Francis (QB, rJR, UCLA)
Devon McCullough (QB, rSR, Ole Miss)

CAMP
Patrick Tuivalea (RB, SR, Washington St.)

BEDNARIK
Dan Glover (DE, SR, Iowa St.)
Mike Hill (LB, rSR, UConn)
Michael Riley (DE, rSR, Ole Miss)

NAGURSKI
Michael Riley (DE, SR, Ole Miss)

O’BRIEN
Devon McCullough (QB, rSR, Ole Miss)

WALKER
Patrick Tuivalea (RB, SR, Washington St.)
Chris Caveed (RB, SR, Wisconsin)
Steven Kent (RB, SR, Army West Point)

BILETNIKOFF
Landon Puckett (WR, SO, Michigan St.)
Doug McClain (WR, rSR, Western Kentucky)
Kevin Porter (WR, rJR, Oklahoma)

MACKEY
Brendan Tangier (TE, FR, Rutgers)
Justin Slaughter (TE, rSR, Stanford)
Rian Walton (TE, rSR, BYU)

OUTLAND
James Hill (G, rSR, Florida)
James Peters (C, rSR, Florida)
Champ Phillips (C, rJR, Texas)

RIMINGTON
James Peters (C, rSR, Florida)
Champ Phillips (C, rJR, Texas)
Micah Evans (C, rSR, LSU)

LOMBARDI
James Mandrell (DE, rSR, UConn)
Michael Riley (DE, rSR, Ole Miss)

BUTKUS
Gaylan Riley (LB, rJR, Oregon)
Kaleem King (LB, FR, South Carolina)

THORPE
Kent Newton (CB, rSR, UConn)
Tyjuan Monroe (CB, SR, Pitt)
Paul Evans (CB, rJR, Cal)

GROZA
Parker Standridge (K, SR, Notre Dame)
Carter Pardon (K, SR, Southern Miss)
Adam Fine (K, SR, N.C. State)

GUY
Chad Mills (P, FR, Ole Miss)
Alex Daffer (P, JR, LSU)
Alex Stallings (P, SR, Notre Dame)

JET RODGERS (Best RET)
Marcus Rodgers (WR, rJR, UConn)
Chase Weldon (RB, rFR, Ohio State)
Adam Benjamin (WR, rJR, Western Kentucky)

COACH OF THE YEAR
Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss)
Chris Creighton (Eastern Michigan)
Mark Dantonio (Michigan St.)

....and the most important award of all....

Foxke Brihay (OC, San Diego State, nofx94)
Laurence Gilbert (OC, Troy, Mike7Vinas)
Caleb Henderson (OC, Eastern Michigan, NewscasterNews4)
Connor Turley (HC, UCF, convict38)
Kaelyn Willingham (HC, Washington State, kswgrad2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsJunkie
Heartbreaking loss to say the least. Riding high off an emotional win, your guys fell victim to the trap that was Wake Forest. There’s always next year I guess.

Must have been crushing for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
I knew they could be a trap! Their defense was really strong, holding you to under 400 total yards. It looks like the mismatches in the passing game didn't materialize.

It's a really disappointing end to the regular season. A bowl game is just a small prize compared to a conference championship or a title run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
Now that's tough. Bullet called it, pretty sure it was him that said they could be a trap. Sucks to end the season like that, but let's hope you can still win a bowl.
Thanks guys, certainly a tough pill to swallow. We got so excited, then it all came crashing down in front of us. They came to ready to play, played TREMENDOUS team defense and exploited our fatigued defense with a heavy dose of running Waters in the end, along with some great blitzing. They used a similar gameplan as UCF did, and it worked to perfection.

You can absolutely say that we got caught napping, I didn't expect Wake to put up much of a fight and only realized we were in for a game when it was 14-0. I took their statistics lightly when I should have heeded the advice of you all. What else can I say other than it happens sometimes, I've thought for several weeks that this team wasn't good/consistent enough to be a playoff team, and that proved accurate. I've come to like not winning every year as it keeps things fresh and motivating to fire up games. Besides, with the very young team we've had this season (only eight seniors), we'll be better next year with most of the key contributors returning on offense, at the very least. There are several possible transfer candidates in my eyes as well as possibilities for early declarees (J.P. Byers, Vic Castalanetta, Jevon Sapp, Devin Brown, etc.), but if we can dodge them we should be right back in playoff contention next year.

I'll also take a second to say that as talented a player as Jordan is, he just can't seem to make it translate to the field all the time for some reason - today's game case in point. It may be just the purist, straight line, I-form offense I run, but his season has been a bit disappointing. I'm looking at some lineup changes for the bowl game, so we'll see if we can't give Jordan some momentum entering the offseason. His improvement will be key to our chances at returning to the CFP next year.

Considering our ranking inside the top 20, we should still get a nice bowl game either in low tier-1 or high tier-2; something like the Cigar Bowl (formerly the Outback Bowl), the Citrus Bowl (formerly the Capital One Bowl), the Fidelity Bowl (formerly the Gator Bowl), something like that. The season isn't a total loss (yet), but a win against another solid, top 25 opponent could help salvage the disappointing second half a bit. We haven't finished under ten wins in about five years, so that would be nice to try and avoid.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 07-17-2018 at 04:52 PM.