View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #61
Thegafferuk
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Regression. WTF EA?

I think even speed ratings highlight that regression is maybe too linear or scripted in the game.

Do you remember a couple of years ago where they had the “veteran combine” for players without teams? And it ended all their careers because all the backs ran 4.80-5.00 40 times? I think a lot of those players were in their mid-20s and couldn’t recreate their rookie combine times. I think age, injury, wear and tear, body type all play a part in how players would change over time. I’d be surprised if more than a few notable players maintained their rookie combine speed beyond a few years in the league.

The current regression seems to be that, say, if a player ran a 4.35 40 time before he was drafted he would get a SPD of 90 at age 22. That speed would stay constant until he was 29 (meaning he would run a 4.35 all that time). But then it would steadily drop after that - so at 30 he would run a 4.4, 31 it would be a 4.45, 32 it would be a 4.5 and so on.

I get that they’re just trying to balance the overall ratings, and realise I’m not offering any solutions, but don’t think it’s the case that every player stays constant for X years and then goes in steady decline after that.

I know there are arguments against tying the ratings more closely to production, or maybe giving players hidden atttributes that cap or alter their progression / regression, but I’d be happier with either of those ahead of the current system.
Advertisements - Register to remove