View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #31
RollingThunder
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NHL 20 Adds Authentic Signature Shots, Revamped Broadcast Package, New Game Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar81
@BA2929

I SERIOUSLY hope that I'm mis-reading your sarcasm.

When NHL moved from PS3 to PS4, they hung back a year, and said they were doing it so that NHL 15 could be its best on the new generation.* I distinctly remember this, because I hadn't upgraded to PS4 at the time, so I was okay with NHL 14 being only on PS3.

Then NHL 15 finally arrived on PS4, and it was...definitely not the product of a two year dev cycle, to put it charitably.* EA would eventually go the gaslighting route, and deny they ever gave that excuse for not having NHL 14 ready at the PS4 launch.* The fact remains that NHL 15 was a giant step backwards, and five years later, we are still waiting for the return of features, functions, and even ENTIRE MODES (GM Connected, e.g.) that have been removed.

Take the commentary as a glaring example.* Gary Thorne and Bill Clement were a bit of a throwback, but there was a huge database that they had to build on year to year.* The community was saying they wanted new commentators, but a couple voices of sanity were saying that you can't blame the talent for a lackluster script; ergo, new voice talent would mean starting all over with the commentary database, which would make it MORE repetitive, not less.* They were right.

Well, now EA is hyping improved commentary, and wow, plus ça change, n'est pas?

What seems to have gotten lost in Vancouver, is that this is an **NHL** game.* And if fans of the real-life NHL don't like it, while the devs keep on ignoring them, and continue catering instead to the shiny-object set, This Will Not End Well.

It's absolutely marketing bs. I'd be willing the bet the actual reason for the presentation "revamp" or rather from the sounds of it, regression, is their license with NBC Sports is up and rather than renew it, we get this. Does anyone truly believe they'll add commentary over the year just because the guys they use are more local? I don't, in fact they made that claim last year, how much new commentary from Ray Ferraro was added over the course of last year's cycle? None? Exactly.

Too much focus again on online crap and no attention to the offline game, taking a very wait and see approach this year, and I enjoyed 19 with the right sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove