View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 11:23 PM   #12
KSUowls
All Star

OVR: 8
Re: How many of you have put $5 down on a preorder and forgotten about it?

Regarding the belief that gamestop employees are supposed to not tell someone if they have an old reservation. It's been 10+ years since I worked at gamestop, but unless things have changed there isn't some directive to withhold information about unclaimed reservations. IIRC when give your phone number for your account if you have any unclaimed reservations then a message will pop up for the employee to let them know about the unclaimed reserve and they can't continue until they click "yes"/"no" that the person is picking up the game. Plus (again this information is 10 years old at this point) the two most important metrics for a store are daily game reservations and powerup rewards subscriptions. If you tell someone they have some old reservation there is a chance you can get them to pick up that game and "roll $5 onto another reservation". There may have also been some metrics around number of reservations which were completed for purpose (I don't recall for sure). Either way it's counter productive for a store manager to tell his employees to try and keep reserves unclaimed. Also, from an accounting perspective those reservations are a liability until the purchase is completed, even if they do result in some nominal cash increase.

Regarding the thread topic. I've definitely done this before. I used to do a lot of reservations back in HS/College, and there were a couple of times where I forgot about them. The next time I made a trip to the store I found out about them though and usually just applied that $5 to whatever I was buying at the time since I obviously wasn't excited enough about the reserved game to keep up with the release of it.

Last edited by KSUowls; 09-03-2019 at 11:28 PM.