View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #107
tommycoa
MVP

OVR: 6
Re: M20 1988 Roster PS4

If you’ve got two controllers, there’s a trick to use custom playbooks. You have to assign the second controller as a back-up qb. It may also help to change the scheme to one of the power running schemes in the coaches profile. This has also helped in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteachpercussion
So I decided to do a little testing in Franchise mode this evening. I wanted to see how the sim stats were for the 1988 roster. Keep in mind, I did not play any games, I only simmed the season.

The first sim was with default playbooks for each team. In other words, I did not change any playbooks or anything for any team. As I expected, the results were too high in terms of the run/pass ratio. It was about a 2% difference with passing being too high.

I then went through and changed every team to the Minnesota playbook. That playbook in previous testing is pretty balanced and has a nice selection of formations for played games. The result there was about 2% too low in terms of passing.

That is good news really. I think with changing a couple of playbooks for some pass heavy teams, like the Dolphins, would help balance out the run/pass ratio. Now, if that was the only problem with franchise mode and sim stats I would be all over it.
HOWEVER....
In both sims the total number of plays were too low. In 1988 the average number of total plays for a team was 1026.7. In Madden, the average was 944 and 937 in the two sims I did. That is a large difference overall. To be clear, that is pass attempts, sacks, and rushing attempts combined.

Again, that is something I could live with if played games were the same number of plays, but that is not the case unless you alter the length of the game.

Still, that is all the least of the issues...
I looked at individual stats as well. If you have played this roster, or any of my rosters really, you know that I drop QB ratings to produce more realistic numbers in played games. Well, the sim stats are still WAY too high. Even in the sim where I changed the playbooks, QB passed for too many yards. They threw way too many TDs and not near enough INTS. There yard per attempt were also too high.
Rushing stats were no better overall. Far too many runningbacks ended up over 1,000 yards. Also, there were almost no fumbles. A couple of leading backs had 1 or 2 fumbles for the season, but many had 0!

In any case, this confirmed for me that franchise mode is just not ready for classic rosters. Now, perhaps, if you played every game instead of simming, the results might be different. I have not gone into that yet, and do not know if I will.

I just figured I would share the results of my testing with everyone in case people were curious.

The file is called xboxassantesgreatestever.

Teams finished:
Bears, bills, browns, KC, Dall, Miami, Philly, ATL, SF, NYG, Jags, GB, NE, OAK, Rams, Ravens, WASH, NO, PITT, broncos, Texans, panthers, vikings, colts