Old 01-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
jcar0725
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Hitting is so mental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
It's very mental for me on Zone as well, on two different levels.

Since the PCI is small enough on Legend that it usually covers no more than a third of the strike zone, I have to think about where to place it pre-pitch so I don't have to react as much to the ball in-flight. I see moving the PCI around after the pitch has been thrown as sort of a two-strike approach - where you aren't as worried about making hard contact, you just don't want to strike out. And, usually, my averages when hitting like this are no better than most hitters' averages with two strikes in the count. My best success comes from guessing the right general location of the pitch, and then doing damage by swinging early on it. That's best accomplished early in count, or when the batter is ahead.

The other mental aspect of it is having the discipline to lay off of those pitches that will fall outside my PCI, unless I can't afford to take a strike. Usually unless I'm on two strikes I just simply don't swing at pitches that would force me to move the PCI, whether they are strikes or not. This lessens the chance of making a weak out in a hitter's count.
Discipline is the key. Even with 2 strikes if I look for an area, I can better judge the pitches that are in or out of the strike zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove