View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #8
JayhawkerStL
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Chiefs Super Bowl Trick Play

I think Live Playbooks is a neat idea that was never going to be the huge impact some envisioned it to be. It's just not reasonable to expect massive changes in playbooks and plays, and expect the game to be balanced at all.

Live, I would expect that Wasp play to be overpowered and probably dropped from the game, but it is fun to get it in while it is a topic.

The problem is, EA builds its sports games from the ground up to focus on competition, which is a good thing. Most people that play sports games are doing it because they love the sport and want a chance to feel the thrill of competition in it. Many, many of the things that get suggested here would hurt competitive play in favor of a paint-by-number coloring book that many sim gamers want.

Here, folks want that other play because it looked cool, and would be fun to do. But a goal-line direct snap preceded by all the players doing a spin move in the backfield that adds distraction to what the defense is thinking about would be a damn hard play to balance. I also don't know that they have the animations available pre-snap to pull that off without a lot more programming. They would also have hard time programming defenses on how to respond to the pre-snap motion so that it has an effect, but it's not overpowered, or underpowered and a waste of time.

You see the same stuff in the other games where devs add in stuff to update the players and plays throughout the season, but no one ever considers it done well. And it's probably not done well.