View Single Post
Old 02-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #13
kennylc321
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: A Two Year Development Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Since you joined in 2018, I don't think you were around when a former EA employee explained things pretty clearly at the onset of the exclusive license.

This is as further down the rabbit hole this discussion will enter because it's the beating of the dead horse syndrome and threads become closed and people become banned in the past. It's been pretty good the last few years as far as discussions go.

The NFL, by going exclusive, made more off of one company, EA, than all 4 or 5 companies combined. And by the way, the NFL Players Union also chimed in a few years ago and stated they have a strong relationship with EA. This relationship is now 15 years strong on the business end of things.

So, to keep things simple, let's say all of those companies had a million dollar licensing fee to pay the NFL. The NFL eliminated all of the companies except EA and charged EA 100 million licensing fee. I'm keeping the figures simple to save time.

You don't have to buy anything, but, it is what it is. The NFL, for the most part, has a exclusive licensing business model across the board.
Thanks for not giving a smart !@#$ response!! (Like I would have)

It just seems really odd that the NFL would initiate this when they are all about the money. And of course, the timing... for this to come about just when 2k was giving EA a serious run for their money.

And ok, fine... the NFL was onboard... but for the NFLPA, who-- and let's be honest-- has the weakest player union and are always talking about how underpaid they are to buy into this as well. Hmm... very suspicious.

And 15 years later (seriously cannot believe it's been that long) for neither party to realize they would make more money with more licenses. Hmm.

But thanks for your insight.