View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
georgiafan
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Will AAA Linear games ever return ?

Control and Star Wars are definitely on my radar to play soon largely because they are linear.

I played Judgement and while I did like it I would still call that open world. It is a small map that you can walk from place to place quickly so I enjoyed that better then a huge map. I wish it would have had a fast travel system allowing me to get from one place to the next. If it had that I could have cut off a few hours from the play time since I skipped all the side stuff.

I'm also picky about the type of games I play so the others you mentioned aren't really my type of game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter42O
Games that were released, linear and I completed in 2019 -
Resident Evil 2
Metro Exodus (wide linear levels, linear story)
Devil May Cry 5
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Judgment (one map, linear story, can ignore all the side content)
Remnant: From The Ashes
Control
Gears 5
COD: MW 2019
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

Basically, 10 out of the 19 games I completed in 2019 were linear and not open world. A few may have wide linear levels but they're more linear than open world. There's plenty of linear games. Just have to look out for them.

Yea this is something I like as well I was hoping that's what God of War would be, but I wouldn't call it that. I believe the middle Tomb Raider had this type of world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthraticus
My favorite type of level design is in games like in Thief 1 & 2.

Large well designed levels that aren't 'open world' or 'linear'.

I've got the Last of Us pre ordered so I'm pumped about that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The new Last of Us is coming out. Uncharted is coming out. There are a healthy number of AAA linear games.