View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 10:58 PM   #25
Real2KInsider
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: 2K21 needs to be completely positionless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamBuilder
I have a MyLeague where the A.I. 76ers signed Shaun Livingston and Derrick Favors. They started a lineup of Ben Simmons, Joel Embiid, Shaun Livingston, Derrick Favors, and Furkan Korkmaz against me in a MyLeague game... all because the stupid position system encourages them to get a PF (Favors) and think it makes sense to play him alongside Embiid, Simmons, and Livingston.
1. Player positions were updated across the league (i.e. Favors at C).
2. Favors has a high OVR so yeah why would he not start - this is working against your argument.
3. Livingston is a PG in the game so they literally played positionless as you suggested. You just hated the result.
4. The Sixers literally have a two center lineup IRL.

Quote:
You can't seriously defend a system that stupid -- a system that simply constructs a lineup and roster based on listed positions without considering the attributes/skills/abilities of the players and how they fit together.
Problem: Not every team views these attributes/skills/abilities the same way. The Sixers (who run Simmons as a PG and not a PF despite his lack of shooting ability) are demonstrably one of those teams. If anything Livingston is exactly the player they would target if they don't value shooting in guards.

You're asking an AI to evaluate basketball like a human and not think in black & white, without having the roof cave in. Good luck with that.

Quote:
I shouldn't even have to explain this to you.
You're not really explaining anything to me, so much as you keep repeating yourself ad nausea.

Quote:
More specifically, look at Covington. He is playing great as a rim protector because it's not about his listed position and height, but rather his skills.
More specifically, look at P.J. Tucker. In what universe do his attributes scream "play this man at Center". You're just as likely to have Westbrook/Harden matching up with centers on defense.

Quote:
Again, I shouldn't even have to explain this to you. Positions are shallowly categorical. That's it. Specific skillsets are much more important than listed positions. Positions are rigid and archaic. That's why you have teams foolishly play "stretch 5s" like Myers Leonard because he is a "center" when most of the time he is a waste of space. He doesn't rebound well, he doesn't defend the rim well, and he doesn't score well in the post. But teams look at him and say, "Oh gee, a 7'1" guy who can shoot the three, what an advantage to have a 'CENTER' who can stretch the floor." It's dumb. Just because he is tall he is stereotyped as a center. It's all nonsense. His skills simply aren't there. He is one dimensional.
The only thing "rigid and dumb" is ironically your stance on positionless basketball. Meyers Leonard is a poster-boy for what you are arguing for - he starts next to Bam Adebayo (another center) based PRECISELY on specific skills - shooting & rebounding. Yet you go out of your way to trash this player because he doesn't meet YOUR view for what skills his team values.

Lest we forget what multi-dimensional powerhouses P.J. Tucker, Danuel House, and Ben Mclemore are. You don't even know what you're arguing for. Please keep explaining it to me though.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 03-10-2020 at 11:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove