Old 05-06-2020, 09:21 AM   #346
King_B_Mack
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23
ESPN Presents: The Last Dance, a 10-part documentary on 97-98 Chicago Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I think this is my issue with this whole MJ puff piece masquerading as some kind of a documentary. For the guys that were around at that time and remember the games and players, we all have our own opinions and most of you disagree with me, but at least you saw the games (mostly) through your own eyes, although maybe influenced by the NY/Boston/LA based media. Nevertheless, you saw it for yourself.

However, for those of you who weren't around at the time or were too young to remember, this MJ-produced propaganda is just brainwashing people into having the opinion that MJ wants you to have, with ESPN entirely complicit in the gambit. This is "Triumph of the Will" starring the Chicago Bulls. Why does MJ/Pippen/ESPN get to define who the Bad Boys Pistons were? What their legacy was? How great Isiah was? This whole narrative that they were just a bunch of talent-less thugs that punched and shoved their way to 3 straight NBA finals (all of which they should have won) and no one wanted to see them win is MJ and the NY Daily News talking. Funny how the Riley-era Knicks, who were at the least as dirty as the Bad Boys were (albeit far less talented) are portrayed as a "tough" "gritty" team, but Detroit is a bunch of low-lifes. It's horse manure being shoveled every Sunday night to a content-starved nation that either doesn't know or doesn't care about anything other than what ESPN tells you happened.

Nothing that is being presented in this series is "truth" or "information". It's "the world according to MJ", produced by MJ's production company, edited for content by MJ's people, with final cut approval from MJ, for the express purpose of burnishing MJ's legacy and "brand".

There is a reason Ken Burns decried the whole enterprise as something he would never agree to doing.

That hyperbole train is never late.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports