Old 05-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #351
Sportsforever
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: ESPN Presents: The Last Dance, a 10-part documentary on 97-98 Chicago Bulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I don't think there's a high horse here.

The hyperlink to the WSJ interview with Ken Burns (where the comments originated) doesn't work for me (404 not found) but I think there's at least a fair shot that WSJ could have been the ones to ask Burns about The Last Dance in the first place, as opposed to him going to his Twitter soap box and decrying for all to hear out of nowhere. As such, it's completely fair and understandable for Burns to share his professional (and valid) opinion.

Regarding the existence of bias, sure, if we want to get all existential, we all have some semblance of bias and even attempting to remove all bias will be showing bias toward removing bias (or something along those lines). But I think we can all understand pretty clearly that there's a difference between a documentary created by a third party and one that's made in direct partnership with the primary focus of the documentary itself.

That said, I think we're making a bigger deal of this than it is. Ken Burns was prompted on his thoughts regarding The Last Dance and he provided them. He's not wrong. But it's also not like he's on some kind of vindictive crusade. It was a single interview picked up by the online media wires.
I don't agree; he states he hasn't/won't even watch it...that could have been his response. Instead, he took the opportunity to state why he doesn't view it as a real documentary and how it's taking journalism where it shouldn't be going. It would be one thing if we all were in the dark about how this was made, but going in you KNOW who is behind it. It's been public knowledge; I go into it with open eyes. The high horse I see him on is the critiquing a documentary he hasn't watched because he thinks it tells history wrong...and he's been guilty of that himself on more than one occasion.

EDIT - BTW, I do think that criticism would be valid if this was a documentary about a serious topic...the JFK assassination, the civil rights movement, etc. We are talking about a basketball player/team.

Last edited by Sportsforever; 05-06-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove