View Single Post
Old 10-21-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
OnlookerDelay
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: An honest question - 2k21 or TW14

I almost hate to weigh in on this because my reason for giving the nod to 2K21 really has nothing to do with the core game play of Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14. Buck, I know this is going to sound like a broken record to you, but I quit playing TW 14 early on because I don't like Follow Cam presentation, and that's the only presentation mode in the game that worked like it was supposed to. The Broadcast mode was broken to the point it was comically bad, and the True-Aim presentation mode (my favorite in TW 12 & 13) was an unselectable option in the settings menu, which I think they eventually removed from the list. Mike DeVault, the game's producer, told me it would have broken the game to enable it.

I also must add that I didn't like one of the optional features that many seemed to like about TW 14, and that was the diagonal swing interface used in the "Simulation" difficulty setting. I couldn't wrap my mind around the fact that I almost had to track a 45 degree angle to hit a shot that had a slight draw in it... seemed like thumbstick gymnastics to me, but I admit I'm wired different than most people.

Having said that I didn't like the diagonal stick motion requirement of Simulation difficulty, I found sufficient challenge in what I think they called the Tour-Pro difficulty level, where you had to track the vertical axis, so that rendered my objection to the diagonal swing moot.

I liked the connected tournaments TW 14 had as it made it feel more like a live event was unfolding around you in real time, independent of anything you'd done. The Country Club events felt really good because of this, but in the end, I just couldn't overcome my need for a True-Aim (TW 12/13) or Snap to View (Perfect Golf, PGA TOUR 2K21) presentation option.

Finally, what I'm really getting into on 2K21 is the feeling of executing a shot with perfect or near perfect tempo, and the way it's translated to your senses via haptic feedback. It's a dimension in the game that I find hard to quantify, but I love it! I get that a lot more on the PC as opposed to the XBox One X version, because the 60 FPS I get on the PC versus the 30 on the X makes it more likely that I'm going to manage to get a perfect tempo.