View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
rakernk
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Tampa 2 defense playbook help

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBinKC
The 4-3 Playbook should have everything you need to run the Tampa 2. But if you want to go extreme, customize the 4-3 playbook to include every four-down lineman set that has the Cover 2 Buc play (stack, over, under, Nickel, Nickel Strong, etc.) I don’t think you need to do that, though, because it can be run much simpler.

In my opinion, the best way to run a Tampa 2 scheme is to use your best defensive personnel as a base, whether it be 4-3, Nickel, whatever. From there, obviously, run the Cover 2 Buc. Once you get a feel for the offense you’re facing, make adjustments via defensive hot routes and blitzes to mix it up. If you’re getting gashed by the run, try some over and under fronts. Doing it this way instead of using a bunch of plays, you can pick 2 Buc every play and keep it simple while staying true to the traditional scheme.

The only caveat I have to this is that you may be getting abused and are unable to make adjustments to stop it. Your quick audibles to Cover 2 Man and Cover 3 are perfect for this. Also have a Cover 6 for an audible for unbalanced sets that you can’t stop. But again, use these sparingly so that they don’t get used to change ups.

Another word of advice. The Tampa 2 will not work in NCAA 14 unless you have screaming pressure from the defensive line. It was originally designed to shut down the West Coast Offense, so these spread offenses will shred it to pieces with any amount of time in the pocket. So, if you’re wanting to look like the 2000 Buccaneers out there, you need to have the dudes to make make it click.
Thanks.

Could you tell me what would be the recommended player archetypes to help maximize the Tampa 2 defense? I heard an athletic MLB might help and you might need great tacklers and hard cornerbacks, but is there anything else? Also, are hard cornerbacks similar to hard-hitters or is that something else?