View Single Post
Old 06-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #8
strosdood
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: OPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
I still feel like my question isn't being understood lol, though I appreciate the replies.

On base percentage represents the frequency with which a batter reaches base, i.e. .350 means a batter reaches base 35% of the time.

Slugging 'percentage' represents how many bases a player takes each time they are at bat, i.e. .500 means a batter takes half a base each time they are bat.

I understand that OPS (which I mistakenly referred to as OBPS earlier) is used to illustrate how good a player is at hitting, but what does it actually represent as in the above examples?

If a player has an OPS of .750, what does that mean? It doesn't mean he reaches base 75% of the time because that's OBP. It doesn't mean he takes three quarters of a base every at bat because that's slugging. What does that number actually represent? Or is the number ultimately arbitrary and only adopts meaning when placed on a scale or is compared with the numbers of other players? (I'm starting to think it's the latter)

It’s on base percentage plus slugging added together to get a sabermetric number that’s used to evaluate a players skill at the most important skill sets hitters are judged upon…… not sure if that’s all u were asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports