View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
canes21
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: EA and Smite Dev Sign Deal to Potentially Bring TV-Style Commercials to Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_ZomBevo
"$3 for horse armor? I guess DLC is fine if it's just skins."

*15 years later*

DLC everywhere

The games industry isn't exactly known for it's "Give an inch, take an inch," mentality. They'll likely to exploit this feature to an insane degree like the current mobile game landscape.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Most games still use the DLC for cosmetic only items model, so it hasn't changed as much as people make it out to be. The industry did go through a period where DLC was actual content, but that ship has sailed for the most part. Season passes are and cosmetic items behind MTX are the current models and they aren't really that bad.

People cannot get the continued support they feel entitled to and get it for free. The way most games are structured now with season passes and/or cosmetic items being locked behind MTX is a way to ensure constant revenue so that work is constantly happening and games are supported longer.

I'm sure MUT has some influence with Madden developing a live service model these days which has already been beneficial to the series.

With regards to this deal in the OP, I'd assume we may see some stuff throughout menus or in loading screens, but that's about it. I highly doubt EA throws ads into the actual on field gameplay.

― Plato