Old 09-14-2021, 01:31 PM   #8
TapOrSnap
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Darce Choke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomitomitomi
I love the idea that submissions could be used as pseudo-transitions but historically EA UFC games have punished failed submission attempts by giving the defender a superior position. Wasn't sub cancelling introduced post-launch for UFC 4?

Regardless, I hope UFC 5's grappling design follows this philosophy.
Cancelling out of a submission which has already been initiated is not the only way a submission transition can be used to work towards a better position. Having an additional transition increases the chance that your opponent misreads the transition and denies the wrong direction additionally submission initiations can also be feinted.

In general I agree with you that we should have the D'Arce in more positions. During a given development cycle we have a limited number of time slots in the motion capture studio so we always want to capture the things that will deliver the greatest improvement in the gameplay experience, sometimes that's a new grapple position or submission, other times it's a new standup striking set. I think the additional D'Arce chokes have typically fallen on the losing side of the "Players want A but players want B more." discussion. However those items typically make their way to the winning side eventually.

Regards
-TOS