Old 05-02-2022, 06:57 AM   #64
VDusen04
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Western Conference 2nd Round Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Every flagrant 1 or 2 is from a player getting overzealous in the moment. I get the nobody gains anything from him being tossed but I don’t think that’s the point of tossing someone. It isn’t for gain, but loss for consequence. Nobody is supposed to gain anything.
We’re getting a bit granular, which is fine because I think this is a topic that lends itself to nuance, but I generally don’t find that an ejection is always most suitable when a play’s defining characteristic is that of overzealousness (that is to say, being too enthusiastic or eager).

I find plays where a guy accidentally oversteps his bounds, realizes it, and shows immediate contrition have little reason to punish with ejection.

In contrast, a foul like Andrew Bynum’s extends well beyond being overzealous. When premeditation, intent, and maliciousness come into play—particularly when a player is in a very vulnerable position—then I see removal making sense, as a player intending to endanger those around him simply isn’t viable.