View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 11:31 PM   #6
Blzer
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Ideas to improve MLB The Show 23 (a more detailed wishlist of sorts)

Here is one I had for Vita back in the day, though that's no longer a thing so ehh: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ity-ideas.html

I'll be brief with them.

Hitting in real life yields more success on corner pitches and pitches out of the zone than this game would lend you to believe. I'm not saying it should be made easier, I'm saying more success should be rendered possible. Also, they introduced backspin and topspin in this series back in maybe 2017 or so, and then they got rid of topspin and now every hit is only backspin. I'd like to see topspin return, specifically for hitters that have a more upward swing trajectory (something they'd have to introduce, something that MLB Power Pros had). This would also differentiate those who tend to pull the ball on the ground more often than others, unless other mechanics are needed.

I also had one for the a dynamic offensive camera that rewards hitters with better overall vision, possibly more so switch hitters. You can see about that here.

I'll refrain from pitching mentions, other than I had a lot of gameplay designs that had to do with analog pitching after it was first introduced. If I find the thread, I'll edit it in here.

EDIT: It seems the post is here, but the images are gone. I could only salvage a few of my old images, but don't know which part related to what description.

Spoiler

Defense is the big one, and it's really all of the game's physics in play. The game has outfielders too shallow and corner outfielders too close to the lines. They've had to nerf parts of the game to prevent some things from happening, such as throwing runners out at first. This game often has too many singles and home runs, and not enough doubles. This is especially true of grounders down the line and balls hit over outfielders heads. If they back up outfielders, this game's mechanics don't let rising liners be uncatchable because their outfielders go back as fast as they come in, and balls hang up for far too long. Dirt and grass have the same ball speed, so a ball can't be hit fast enough to pass the infield but not slow up enough for outfielders to be able to prevent runners from scoring from second base. It's just all of these little things that would need addressing, but instead they keep things where they are and have to make patches here and there to prevent things from occurring. Hell, this game needed to have rocket bunts to prevent online cheesing.

Anyway, I could go on for an entire dissertation on all of those defensive aspects, but part of the point is that they're all related and would have to be completely overhauled to be remedied.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 05-12-2022 at 04:17 PM.