Home

PS3/Vita cross-controller functionality (ideas?)

This is a discussion on PS3/Vita cross-controller functionality (ideas?) within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
PS3/Vita cross-controller functionality (ideas?)

As some of you may know, Sony released a patch and DLC for LittleBigPlanet 2 (PS3) allowing you to use your Vita as a controller, and adding the touchscreen as another piece of the puzzle for more display information and interactive features. This is similar to what the Wii U brings to the table, if not identical to it. This has been in the works since before E3 2012 (as it was announced then), and there are six new levels with this awesomeness plus the ability for users to create more levels.

I've uploaded a gameplay video to show what it looks like (Vita screen in lower right corner):

If we remember the Dreamcast days, they used a feature in NFL 2K by allowing you to call plays on the VMU that was plugged into the controller. That being said, Madden could easily apply the same principle if they so chose to.

So what could we do for baseball? What could go onto the Vita screen that would be considered pertinent information? Or better yet, what could come off of the PS3 screen that we might not need?

I will demo this later with a screenshot example when I'm home and have the time to do it, but here's what I'm thinking:

The PS3 screen would be devoid of everything except for the score bug (with the baserunners). That means we would remove things such as the pitch type selection/buttons, baserunner windows, power/contact/normal swing icons, guess pitch feature, hot/cold zones, etc.

The Vita screen would then have a **** load of information, such as what you can see on the Pause and Select screens. At the top would be the score (per inning and such) with R/H/E columns, there would be a strike zone (w/ hot and cold zones) showing the pitch history to the batter as well as the pitch types, information on the current pitcher (including fatigue and confidence level) and batter, the pitch types where you can guess the pitches, baserunner windows, wind speed, pitch breakdown (pitch type percentages, ball-strike ratio, etc.), the on-deck and in-the-hole batters, and maybe even a constantly running sports ticker... though that could be on the main screen as well. Even when pitching, if you were doing two-player, you could "hide the cursor" by having it on your Vita instead of on the main screen.

This could also be great for the pause and quick-pause menus. If you press pause, on the TV your PS3 will display aerial stadium shots and random cutaways like the game already does, maybe with random chatter among the boys (like historical facts or what have you). That way you can access everything in the pause menu on the Vita screen, including lineup and bullpen changes.

I think that's a bit of a mouthful, but hopefully the makeshift promo shot I produced helps explain what I mean. I bring this up now because I feel it can still be implemented, even if it's just in a patch. This might also push the boys at SCEA to give us the option(s) to hide certain HUD items like we've been hoping for.

Here's an example of the screens when a ball is put in play (if you're a fielder):

Another example with Home Run Derby:

And of course... Manage Only Mode:

Anyone feel free to pitch in your ideas. This is merely my thought on the matter, but I feel it can be done especially being a Sony product. This thing is really cool on Vita, and makes me happy to see how well the PS3 has done through simple firmware upgrades to match new items such as 3D Blu-ray players and the Wii U, at least in some limited regards.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-24-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Re: PS3/Vita cross-controller functionality (ideas?)

It would be sweet to let the Vita work as a manager tool for you. Show you a scouting report of a hitting or pitcher (depending on the game situation), or be able to quickly take a look in the bullpen to see what arms you have and who your opponent has left.

Or to take it to a more interactive level, the touchscreen could show the field of play. Then while you are in the field, you could use the Vita's touchscreen to drag your players to different locations. To shade just one outfielder in a certain direction you could just drag him over some and the game would react to it. When you are batting, that view could help you see how your opponent is lined up against you defensively a lot easier.

Atlanta Braves
- Auburn Tigers - Carolina Panthers - Nashville Predators
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
Have been thinking about this as well.
I would prefer keeping the tv screen as close to a real life broadcast as possible. Having the pitch types, history, hot&cold zones, bullpen etc all on the vita. Never having to press select again.
And...the possibility to continue the game (in game!) on the vita in case my girl wants to watch some stupid **** on tv

This feature(s) alone will make me buy a ps Vita. Just like the Show on its own made me buy a PS3.

SCEA must have been brainstorming about this as well!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukevin
Or to take it to a more interactive level, the touchscreen could show the field of play. Then while you are in the field, you could use the Vita's touchscreen to drag your players to different locations. To shade just one outfielder in a certain direction you could just drag him over some and the game would react to it. When you are batting, that view could help you see how your opponent is lined up against you defensively a lot easier.
Before I read your post, I started thinking of the exact same thing, minus the touchscreen (though now thinking about it, that would work very well). I was thinking kind of like Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball on SNES.

Watch this video to see what I'm thinking of... when the ball is put in play, the Vita will bring up an outlined field kind of like that game (see bottom right with ball in play), and like you saw in the LBP video:

You could either use the sticks and buttons to move the players and throw the ball, or you can use the touchscreen. Anyway, this could allow for your TV and PS3 to display more broadcast elements, such as different camera cuts and stuff. Like, pay attention to the different camera cuts in a real life broadcast while a ball is in play on a double or triple, especially with runners on base. If that can be replicated in The Show...

I mean, there is definitely potential for this feature that can be explored, and can definitely give more toward making what's on your TV screen feel more and more like a live broadcast when you use the Vita to interact.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-19-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

holy cow....there's A LOT that i love about this idea. the only drawback for me is how much more i prefer the feel of the dualshock to the vita as far as the sticks and buttons. i could be convinced...probably easily too if it had some of those features though!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Pro

blueduke's Arena

OVR: 7

On the Vita I'd like to see a scouting report on the pitcher and batter, pitch count, hot and cold zones for the hitter. I'd also like to see the batting avg of batter vs current pitcher as well as any pitcher warming up in the bullpen

Last edited by blueduke; 12-19-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Those are fantastic ideas, Blzer. I really hope we get cross-controller capability.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

Just got home about an hour ago; did a quick Photoshop job and updated the OP with a pretty messy prototype. The idea is the important thing haha.

The only things really missing in the shot are "baserunner windows" (which would appear on the bases on the diamond) and bullpen status. I didn't configure them because I took an in-game event with no one on base and no one warming up, most unfortunately.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »