View Single Post
Old 08-25-2022, 08:58 PM   #18
dowie
MVP

dowie's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Dowie's HOF Set: Clean Screen, Directional, Classic,

Not sure this initial set is sustainable. I might make minor ajustments and play the next 4 games on the day 1 schedule to compare against my 1st 4 games played.

I wanted to see: 25% swing & miss p/team
62-65 strike percentages p/team
roughly 295 pitches thrown per game/147 per team
average 54 fouls per game (15-18% of swings should result in a foul)

In 4 games, my averages are:
32% swing and miss (too high, but that's likely user based "lack of skill" more so than a slider-based outcome)
64% strike % - darn near PERFECT!
144 pitches thrown -darn near PERFECT!
16% fouls - darn near PERFECT!

In 4 games the cpu averages are:
19.5% swing and miss (too low, but really only by 5%-ish - blame it on HOF level?)
58% strike % - again too low, but only by 5-ish%
160 pitches thrown - over by roughly 12 p/game, gotta keep an eye on that...again, maybe I am too patient at the plate and need to swing more?
19% fouls - just a tad over, not alarming at all.

So what do I make of all this.......user pitching from a strike %, fouls given up, pitches thrown couldn't really be more aligned with MLB avgs. The cpu doesn't swing/miss enough, but that could be because of lineups, my pitching pattern etc., playing on HOF etc. I think it's close enough though. Cpu seems to throw too many balls and doesn't challenge hitters enough....quite a few things could cause that, and not sure slider tweaks are the answer (control/stamina)?

what else is going on:
I avg 7 hits a game, the cpu avg's 11
I avg 8 k's per game on offense, the cpu avg's 8 k's per game on offense....both are really solid #'s
I avg 6 bb on offense, (way too high), the cpu avg's 5 , (too high as well)

5 of my 27 hits are 2b's.....too high need more singles
9 of cpu's 42 hits are 2b'....too high, need more singles

0 triples, likely because balls aren't hit hard enough into the gaps?

I have 9 hr's in 4 games (too high)
Cpu has 5 hr's in 4 games (really good, BUT too many runs scored by HR)

Now I know chasing stats (MLB avg's) is futile, it's a video game. However, I find it fun to look at #'s and see how it compares to real life. I think this is where MLBTS 20 shines (even hit distribution, and how the runs are scored).
MLBTS 22 may have gotten it right though, because how do majority of teams score in real life - THE LONG BALL. i hate it, but it's true.

For the next 4 games, I think I'll increase cpu pitch control and consistency to 6, and see if that will bring their strike % up and lower their # of pitches thrown WITHOUT throwing the user offensive #'s out of whack.

I'll also raise solid hits 1 click back to default for both sides to try and alleviate the sheer volume of lofty, innocent fly balls that have more hang time than an NFL punt. Again though, that might mean even more hr's and 2b's (see how it's a never ending chase for balance). I'll need to keep an eye on field reaction and field run speed with balls likely coming off the bat faster (might be the secret to more singles though)? I haven't seen 1 error (either side) in 4 games...that's gotta stop. I am going to increase errors 1 click across all 4 of those sliders and see how messy the play on the field gets (answer is probably some combination of those 4 sliders "some" at default and some at 6). Last thing is pitch speed...at least on my tv, FB speed looks/feels good, but breaking balls seem way too slow. I know you have to have a difference in speed, but raising breaking ball pitch speed by 1 is something I won't do yet, but will think about. I think the speeds are just too far apart (felt the opposite on MLBTS 20).

Dowie