Old 10-05-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
countryboy
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: MLB The Show: An Appreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRodgers1175
Before I start, I want to make clear that I don’t think this is a perfect game. The CPU bullpen/lineup/team building logic needs work, stadium creator still has room to improve and custom uniforms aren’t nearly what they should be.

But holy hell, the game captures the sport so much better than Madden captures football, FIFA captures soccer and NHL captures hockey. The immersion with all of the unique windups, stances and swings is tremendous, and the game itself feels like baseball. I was playing an October afternoon playoff game and the shadows and light really captured the postseason aesthetic.

Compared to what else is out there, the game is on another level. Maybe that’s damning it with faint praise when put up against EA’s games, but I always find myself playing The Show more than anything else even when fall titles come out. This year will be no different.

(I haven’t played 2K yet this year but I never love the gameplay.)
Agreed. MLB The Show is essentially the only sports game I play nowadays (I do dabble in the golf and racing games), but as for the major sports, its the only one. I try Madden each year in the trial but lose interest quickly as the game just feels in such a big hurry to me. I don't care much for the NBA these days and just don't care about hockey or soccer enough to give the games a try.

So I can't say that MLBTS is the best at capturing its sport because its fair and unfounded for me personally to say so, but I can say, and will say, that it captures the sport of baseball so well. Playing the game, where it matters, the game feels authentic and true to its sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy99
The cpu can’t hit
My experience the CPU hits just fine. Just finished the AAA All-Star game where the CPU put up 8 runs without ever hitting the ball over the fence.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals