View Single Post
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #68
Misfit
All Star

OVR: 25
Re: Boston Red Sox - 2006

Manny shows up late every year to spring training, who really gives a ****?! The media just loves to bust his balls, otherwise we wouldn't even be hearing about it.

Foulke couldn't locate anything last year, not only his change. You could tell guys just starting sitting on changeup because the fastball was everywhere and then Foulke would just groove a change thinking he could sneak it by hitters. Case in point, the Tejada homer off of him.

Lowell does scare me as well. I really don't expect much out of him but he can't be worse than he was a year ago. I really don't know what fan expectations are of him so I'm not sure what it will take for him to start hearing the boo birds.

If Nixon is healthy and Youk proves himself capable at first I really like the defense for this team in general, not just the late innings. The only "hole" right now would be Manny, but he plays Fenway's left field adequately. It's when the Red Sox hit the road and go to some of the bigger parks that he becomes a liability.

Schilling looks a hell of a lot better than he did a year ago. He looks younger which I can only assume means he's in better shape, or maybe I'm just fooled by the longer hair. Whether or not it translates onto the mound is another thing, but it certainly is a good sign. If Schilling can pitch like a front of the rotation guy this year, then I really like our pitching staff. Esepcially knowing that Lester and Hanson are there for depth at the Triple A level.