View Single Post
Old 06-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #26
griffy97
*t's * 'B*rgh Th*ng!

OVR: 4
Thumbs up Re: Does EA Know Madden is not that great?

Just my two cents here:

I think we all agree this exclusivity stinks for gamers. Not only has Madden rested on its laurels, but look at MLB 2k6? A seriously flawed game, but if you wanna play baseball on Xbox or 360, that's your game.

Since we, the gaming public, have no other options, and since Electronic Arts loves to cannibalize the competition by signing exclusivity licenses with the NFL, NCAA, NASCAR, etc, I can only hope they make another move that would actually make some sense and re-acquire Visual Concepts. Without question, VC has the most innovative football engine and could do WONDERS on the next-gen hardware. Tiburon's a joke. Look at its NASCAR games. Absolutely a disgrace when you consider that Papryus had a superior physics model SIX YEARS AGO! Heck, the NASCAR Heat series (as dated as it is, although with some fantastic mods) is, to this day, superior to anything EA Sports has EVER offered for a racing simulation.

I can honestly say I have not purchased a new Madden game since 2002 (with the expansion mode). I also believe, IMHO, that was the last year EA offered a superior football game. On the flipside, while I truly don't care for the hitting model, I DID purchase MVP 2005 and think it's a quality game, one of the finest BB games ever made. But, we can all understand how that happened: EA was lagging behind High Heat, ASB, and WSB when it came to gameplay and realized its TP series had become an utter joke. In other words, COMPETITION forced them to become better. Another example was NHL 2004, which was arguably the best EA hockey title since their epic NHL 94. Why? Black Box Games, which created the original NHL 2k on the Dreamcast, was bought to develop the game. Why? Because NHL 2kx was the FAR superior game. Again, EA reacts to competition and lagging sales.

Sorry for the long-winded post, but just needed to vent. I will say that my ability to avoid the Madden series has been greatly influenced by the fantastic roster projects and mod communities that keep our favorite games fresh and updated. A gigantic KUDOS to all of you!!