View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #35
faster
MVP

faster's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NBA 2K7 Review (360)

I would add that a scoring system on SPORTS games is even more difficult than other games. Each year sports games get upgrades. If you give NBA2K7 a 10 this year, and next year they add even more features, potentially fix a couple little issues, then what? An instant 10 again? That's the difficulty in the sports gaming industry. There's ALWAYS next year.

If we're talking Halo, Half-Life, Oblivion, etc, those are games that simply stand by themselves. There may be sequels, but they won't be simply 99% of the same game with simple additions. Games that simply change the genre or do everything right should be given 10s. Nobody can tell me you can't give out a 10 in those cases. A game that simply delivers on every level and changes the genre, has long-lasting playability, and is just a wonder to behold in every sense should be allowed to receive a perfect score.

Now back to sports games. Obviously perfection in sports games is almost unachievable. Perfection in ANYTHING is unachievable, BUT if you have a scale, the top of that rating scale must be achievable. Does that mean perfection? No, it means the highest quality game that can be produced AT THE TIME. At some time we have to recognize a simply outstanding sports achievement, a game that improves tremendously and ups to ante to every others game that competes with it. Barring major issues, this game should be allowed to get a 10. That would simply mean that achievement, that advancement, that game, at that specific time/year, raised the bar and suddenly became "the" standard. Sometimes it's only a 95, but for the rare game that simply brilliantly outpaces what anybody thought was possible, then you get the 10. That system should not be abused however, and if you look at OS's past, they reserve that ranking for an elite group.
Advertisements - Register to remove