Old 09-29-2003, 09:14 AM   #32
Kanobi
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: \"Realism\"

Quote:

dano said:
I think that most sega guys never even try madden. if they did they would also say the running sucks in espn.

Thats total and complete B.S.

I've played Madden 2004 extensively before espn was released. And I've played every version of Madden exclusively prior to that. Thats how I know ESPN's running game is more realistic and Does NOT suck. The problem most Madden fans seem to have is that they can't rely on just any defensive play or a simple press of the dive button to stop the run anymore. Its a Huge wakeup call after playing Madden for so long and using Pass defense to stop runs and dropping 250 lb backs my merely brushing up against them with 170 lb defensive backs. And if you're saying Madden's momentum is better then that is again total B.S. First of all, Madden players have to stop completely, stand up straight, then turn ...just to change direction. Thats total Garbage. The Momentum is seriously Overdone and control you have over the runner is lacking. Madden Ballers make the transition to ESPN from Madden and aren't accustomed to the extremely tight control and ability to change direction because they've been dealing with Madden's overblown, "Steering a Yacht in a Harbor", momentum for so long. ESPN definitely has momentum and to say the running game sucks is ridiculous.

First of all, in Madden you can only spin, juke, dive, stiff arm, hurdle or burst but have little control. Plus you can't control when you dip your shoulder which leaves your 250 lb rb at the mercy of the animation engine when facing a 170 lb db...and usually the db wins. Theres also no real on-field difference in Madden between Power, Balance, Finesse Backs. Total lack of depth. On top of that the collision detection is total garbage as the rBs can go down without even being tackled at all. A mere BUMP against them usually is enough to bring them down. This negates the need to use proper tacking technique and positioning. It certainly negates the need for gangtackling (an essential part of real-life football at all levels)...not that Madden has real gangtackling anyways since it lacks the groundbreaking PILE-ON gangtackling that ESPNFL features. And Hell even if you ARE lucky enough to pull off a gangtackle...there are No stats To track It OR Half sacks either ..like ESPNFL has.

ESPNFL offers stiff arm, hurdle, shoulder charge, spin , jukes (with shoulder buttons AND right analog stick), dive (with the player reaching for the first dwn or touchdown depending on the situation. sweet!), over the pile dive, speed burst, AND the Charge! Plus , in espn, when spinning...you control which direction you spin by using the left analog. In Madden when you spin, you're again at the mecry of the animations engine to determine in which direction you spin....again , ESPN has much tighter control. You never feel like you're not in control of the runner in ESPN. The Runningbacks have different running styles (Power, Finesses, and Balance) that are clearly visible during gameplay. This forces the user to THINK about what plays they call, how they position their personel, and who their personel are in terms of their attributes.

Also, ESPN offers PILE-ON gangtackling that is there FOR A REASON. Its meant to Be Used! You're not going to stop the run with nickel and dime packges like you do in Madden. You're not going to bring down runners with a mere brush against their shoulders like in Madden. You've got to CONTAIN the run by calling the proper formations/plays, putting guys in the right postion, using the charge as well as the proper angle and squaring up (using the strafe button) when making a tackle, and ultimately using the Gangtackling to HELP bring ballcarriers down. BTW Gangtackling and Half sacks are Tracked statistically...something Madden fans can expect NEXT YEAR even though Strauser is on record as saying they didn't add it this year because its all subjective who got there first. Yet somehow VC was able to program the AI to know who got to the ball carrier first and who assisted on the tackle. I wonder what Strauser's excuse will be next year.

So you see, Dano, I've played Madden and ESPN both...thats why I know ESPN's running game DOES NOT SUCK and is far more realistic and deep than Madden's.