Home

NBA 2K17: Some Ideas To Make MyPlayer Better...

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17: Some Ideas To Make MyPlayer Better... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17: Some Ideas To Make MyPlayer Better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmeyerheim
I've been a My Career NUT since NBA 2K11. I love the mode! I've used too many hours creating players, developing them into NBA superstars and trying to copy the attributes and styles of my favourite players. I love to take on the reporters, trying to do so in a manner which best fits the guy I am trying to visualise in my head. All the options, opportunities, customisations and visualising this mode allows is absolutely incredible, if you still hold on to that childish dream of being like Mike, like Lebron, like Kobe, like Shaq or like Steph. You can be the basketball player you always dreamt of being. Nothing makes me feel like a child - embarrassingly so - like playing 2K's My Career mode.

2K16's My Career didn't though.

The My Career mode in 2K16 was waaaayy below it's usual high standards - and I sensed it coming in 2K15 already. I blame two things for ruining the mode for me this year: The forced storyline and the online features affecting the offline part of My Career.

1: The corny story from Spike Lee.
It literally offered no options. Your path to stardom was scripted from the beginning. You're a black kid from Harlem, you're one of the top prospects in the country, you have a cheesy nickname, and oh yeah - completely contradicting the premises laid out - you have a starting overall resembling that of the biggest draft bust in NBA history at a 55. WTF. I kind of get what 2K was aiming for here. It was something completely to sports gaming, blending real cinematics into the game, but it was a failure, Spike Lee didn't deliver like he did in "He's Got Game", so don't make the same mistake again 2K. Please. Just make it fun and enjoyable to play. Make me able to chose my own path. That's why you call it "My Career". Because it's mine. The trailer even advertised - in the voice of Spike Lee: "You can even be yourself". Well, no. I couldn't. I'm a boring *** white dude. I didn't grow up in Harlem, I'm not black and I certainly wouldn't ever allow anyone to call me "Frequency Vibrations". I'd never do that celebration dance either smh. 2K14 was really on track story-wise. But I'd even take the less-story-focused more-decision-focused earlier versions ahead of the 2K16 version any day.

2: The online features (My Park etc.) hugely affecting my offline experience.
When first announced it sounded awesome being able to take your My Player online and compete against others in the parks. It still is, but there's got to be some way for me to still enjoy my offline career, while also enjoying the online modes like My Park. When I play My Career, it's because I want to simulate the feeling of being the next Jordan, the next Lebron etc. The attribute caps this year was ridiculous. Lebron is a 6'8 freak of nature, handles the ball like a point guard, passes like Magic, dunks like MJ, runs the floor like no other and can even shoot to an extent. Why can't I be Lebron when playing offline against none other than myself? The same with Steph and Kyrie: around 6'3, insane handles, knockdown shooters and with the ability to finish crazy circus layups around the rims. I can't even do that. I have to choose on or the other, unless I want to just be mediocre all round with the balanced style. Please 2K, I beg you: bring my enthusiasm for this mode back by making our online- and offline players separate, so that I can once again become the new Lebron, MJ, Kyrie, Steph etc. Go easy on the attribute caps and allow us to get creative with the style of player we want. Let me choose to be - as a starting "build" - an athletic Point Forward with lockdown D potential. If it's a VC issue for you, all right, then make us pay VC for adding extra starting "descriptions" on our players. Just allow us to make these players again. It was so much more fun.

I buy NBA 2K for two things only: the My League mode and the My Career mode. I was so disappointed this year. I'm the freak who buys VC to create my guy and make him into "The Next Phenom". I don't enjoy the grind of the My Career mode (which btw has always been on fo my problems with the mode); I enjoy the narratives you create for yourself. I really hope someone will read this and just consider the frustrations I had, because this year I will not pre-order (first time ever). I won't buy the game before I get a picture of what the My Career will be like this year, and if it's anything like 2K16 I'll save my money instead. Lat year it just wasn't very enjoyable.
You're just dislipstic coz you're not an FoF. Seriously, some of the most patronisingly childish dialogue and stereotypical characters in that story.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #50
Pro

nddot's Arena

OVR: 2

a lot of great ideas being tossed around.

IMO they must be too dep into the development cycle to include some of the ideas i read here.

i dont understand why 2k tends to drift away from what made this mode a success, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

That spike story line was cool, but forced and scripted.

get back to the basics for 2k18,

Thats what we need.

this mode should be a standalone game imo.

oh and get rid of the boring assistant coach, too much useless cutscenes.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #51
Pro

Td1984's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddot
a lot of great ideas being tossed around.

IMO they must be too dep into the development cycle to include some of the ideas i read here.

i dont understand why 2k tends to drift away from what made this mode a success, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

That spike story line was cool, but forced and scripted.

get back to the basics for 2k18,

Thats what we need.

this mode should be a standalone game imo.

oh and get rid of the boring assistant coach, too much useless cutscenes.
Oh yeah. That assistant coach who follows you everywhere and says the same things over and over again. Gets very annoying, very quickly.
MLB: Twins, Dodgers
NFL: Vikings
MLS: Minnesota United
Premier League: Manchester United
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #52
Banned

SirGaryColeman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddot

You answered your own question really... the reason they drift away or do things that make no sense is because they make a new game every year.... they ditch old ideas, they rush new ideas, and they work separately (and not as a team) to finish faster.

Every year is a rushed, weird, "could have been amazing" game.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #53
Rookie

How is no one complaining about the lack of gameplay of anything from 2k17?? The game is 3 months away and we've seen NOTHING at all from this game. They are simply asking for money and using Kobe's last season to get preorders. How is this not bothering anyone?
Old 06-23-2016, 07:07 PM   #54
Elite Allstar

Ray Vibes's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisportsfan23
How is no one complaining about the lack of gameplay of anything from 2k17?? The game is 3 months away and we've seen NOTHING at all from this game. They are simply asking for money and using Kobe's last season to get preorders. How is this not bothering anyone?
You must be new here...
Old 06-23-2016, 08:09 PM   #55
Pro

OVR: 10

Necklaces and Gold teeth (drop the mic)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #56
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Not trying to make this a wishlist, but:

-Go away from the story aspect. I liked the 2K15 way. Just add more depth to cut scenes and add more longevity past year 3.

-Bring back Key games. But ability to still do off-day stuff.

-Get rid of grouped attributes. That way you can truly create the type of player you want to.

-Expand the Playbook. I'm tired of seeing only 3-7 plays ran all game if you aren't a PG. Also being involved more play calling. You get touches, but rarely get play calls. I liked the old features of being able to pick 5 play calls you want to be call.

-Adaptive AI. I want to see teams(both CPU and user teams) adjust to what is going on. Like if your team keeps giving up three pointers, then your team should play tighter on team. If you gain the Defensive Anchor badge, then I would like to ability to be able to change defensive settings, like switching or playing tight on perimeter.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »