Home

I've finally figured out why DEs don't get pressure

This is a discussion on I've finally figured out why DEs don't get pressure within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19
I've finally figured out why DEs don't get pressure

After some testing tonight, I realized the exact reason why DEs don't get past the OTs most of the time.

The problem is FINESSE MOVES. If you have a DE who doesn't do finesse moves, but instead does power moves (Like Jason Babin for example), you will notice that he WILL get pressure. However, if you have a DE who uses finesse moves, he will almost always not get past the OT.

This explains why DTs get so much pressure. Because power moves are so effective, and most (if not all) DTs use power moves instead of finesse moves, they have no trouble getting past their blocker.

Most people (as far as I can see) believe that the problem was just that DEs were programmed to not get past OTs very often, as many people have said "Put a punter at OT and the DE will still get blocked". This is only because of finesse moves. Simply put, they DO NOT WORK.

Now, if you want to test this yourself, go into a game, and when you get sacked by a DE, look at the replay. Almost every single time, you will notice that the DE either pushed the OT out of his way, or just ran him over, and then sacked the QB. Only TWICE have I seen a finesse move get past the OT, and that was when I had the CPUs "Pass Rushing" slider set to 75 and USER Pass Blocking set to 10.

EA needs to tune this. I think that simply lowering O-linemen's "Pass Block Footwork" attribute should do the trick, but if not, they need to go into their code and greatly increase the effectiveness of finesse moves (while also decreasing the effectiveness of power moves).\

NOTE: As I'm tired of having to repeat myself, I want to note that this thread is about AI controlled DEs/OLBs on the USERs team getting pressure. If you want to comment on how you have no problem getting pressure on the QB when you user a D-linemen/LB, don't bother. That is not what this thread is for.

Last edited by EccentricMeat; 09-21-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
Rookie

Jaaa's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I've finally figured out why DEs don't get pressure

So there's no way to replicate Dwight Freeny in the game? Sweet.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Rookie

warren123's Arena

OVR: 0

I've been using the Texans online and moved them back to a 4-3, maybe I should just play a 3-4 with the big slow strong guys up front.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

You may be on to something here...I use the Colts with Freeey and Mathis. They are 96/97 Finesse moves and they get no pressure on the most average of tackles. I also use Suggs of the Ravens with his 99 Finesse moves and he gets almost no pressure either. I think a simple tuner will work.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Banned

Manning2Harrison's Arena

OVR: 11

Through 9 games a LE with a 94 Power Move has 6 sacks and a RE with 87 Power Move has only 1. The pattern of my LE far outdoing my RE in sacks has been a pattern I've long been experiencing regardless of who's in those positions. I could swap my DE's for the remainder of the season and their sacks would just about even out.

How would this power move idea account for that?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 6

hmm, im usually the first to complain about the pathetic pass rush in past games but now it seems alot better. but its not consistent like it oughta be. a TIGHT pocket needs to be formed nearly every pass play. the tackles should ride the ends behind the qb while he has to step up to throw. the arcs are to wide if the ends get leverage and start riding their way to the qb. and the animation is to slow.

on the other hand, just now playing in practice on all pro with the broncos. von miller and dumervill both nearly evry play beat their man with a finesse move and get a hit on the qb. miller is doing freeney spin moves while elvis is swimming past the tackle. this is in a 3-4 defense btw. this is how it ought to be, but i believe the problem is consistency. the moves and a tighter pocket have to happen more.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
MVP

EccentricMeat's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning2Harrison
Through 9 games a LE with a 94 Power Move has 6 sacks and a RE with 87 Power Move has only 1. The pattern of my LE far outdoing my RE in sacks has been a pattern I've long been experiencing regardless of who's in those positions. I could swap my DE's for the remainder of the season and their sacks would just about even out.

How would this power move idea account for that?
The best explanation I can come up with is that your RE may have a lower block-shedding rating, and that he is also going up against your opponents' LT, which is almost always the best pass-blocking lineman each team has.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Last year it was the exact opposite. Power move guys were useless. It was the finesse guys that were more effective. Go figure.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »