Home

For those having Playlist Edit/Deleting Files crash issues (TEMPORARY fix)

This is a discussion on For those having Playlist Edit/Deleting Files crash issues (TEMPORARY fix) within the Sounds Of The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Sounds Of The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #1
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

OVR: 6
For those having Playlist Edit/Deleting Files crash issues (TEMPORARY fix)

For those of you having this issue (like I was), I think I have found a temporary fix that I will share so it maybe helps people out. So far I'm finding that the people affected by this issue aren't pinpointing the problem and it's getting complicated by the fact that not everybody is having the issue and some people are finding it's fixed with a reinstall. Reinstalling isn't fixing it for everybody, but here's what I did to get back up and running.

Please comment with details (if you remember them) about what you noticed (if anything) was different when you either 1) first encountered the problem or 2) were able to rectify the problem. I have a feeling the people who fixed the issue with a reinstall are leaving out important details about what they tried to import for the first time on the fresh install.

What my problem was:

First time I imported songs, I had a mix of filetypes on the drive (mp3, m4a, and even apple music m4p) intentionally to test what would import and what wouldn't. I expected that it would remain stable while testing, but I was sadly incorrect. The game imported what it could but obviously couldn't import the unsupported filetypes. This DID NOT cause the issue however, and that's important to note since that seems to be the consensus amongst people who haven't had the issue.

I restarted the game and pulled my external drive to add more music (mostly replacing m4a files with supported mp3s to get my playlist looking like I originally intended). I added some other songs that were just new to the playlist, being sure that they were mp3 files this time.

When I went back to the game to import the new files, it seemed to import just the new stuff but that's when it started crashing anytime I went to add the new files to playlists. I tried to go in and delete files and it would crash when I attempted that too.

What I did to fix it:
After deleing and reinstalling the game, and taking special care to remove ALL m4a and m4p files from the drive, I was not able to fix the issue. It seems to be common, and I have a few guesses at what happened but nothing I can prove. Either way, it wasn't working with a fresh install. What I ended up doing was doubling back through my files and removing all of the new files I added, even if they were mp3s. I DID leave one new mp3, playing the odds on my hypothesis thinking that the odds of that one file being the issue were slim to none (seeing as how I'd added about 30 new files). I deleted the game AND ALL OF MY SAVE FILES. I don't know that it was necessary to do so, but I did anyway just to scrub my console of all game data. I then reinstalled the game. AFTER THE INSTALL while still in the "during install demo", I restarted my console entirely. Powered off and back on, not just rest mode. Then I went in and imported the files I had (which were the same as the first time I imported, with ONE additional file not present during that first import). Everything worked fine! No issues, worked like it did at first and how it seems to be working for most people.

Some thoughts and hypotheses:

Now, my method was slightly flawed because I performed multiple steps which all may have helped fix the issue, so it's hard to nail down what was causing it. Here are the possible conclusions as I see them.

-Just because a file is an mp3 does not mean it's compatible and won't cause an issue. m4a files not being imported DID NOT crash my game, it seemed more likely it was a bad mp3 file when the game went to build a list of imported files.

-The issue may have been the duplicate files I uploaded. I don't think this is likely, but when I replaced files in my drive and went to reupload them (replaced m4a with mp3, I mean), that may have caused some issues. Less likely, but if this is something you also did, it could have merit.

-The restart may have been the key. Again, not sure why exactly but it's possible since that was something I did.

-Deleting my game files may have forced the ps4 to clear some data that was residually hanging in the harddrive on the console. I don't know to what degree, maybe just that older files were associated with the saves, but that was a step I performed before I got it working. I uploaded my RTTS to the cloud and was able to preserve it - I just removed the file physically from my harddrive.

If you try this, you may find TEMPORARY relief. I stress temporary because it seems like it should still be fixed. This should not be looked at as a sign of user error because if it is bad files causing it, there needs to be a way to bypass said files and remove them, almost through a quarantine-style method. I'm guessing with the variations of mp3 files that exists, it's highly likely that anybody having this issue has some form of mp3 that isn't working properly in their playlist. My personal guess is that it's something to do with the metadata of the mp3s since the game DOES upload album covers and other metadata upon import. This is the most likely culprit.

Unless you're like me and remember which files worked for you at one point, this will obviously involve a lot of trial and error. But it is possible to get it working at a somewhat serviceable level. I sincerely hope this helps others who were stuck like me with this issue.

***FURTHER INFO LEFT OUT OF INITIAL POST (3/31 EDIT)***
For the sake of your own sanity, PLEASE don't just keep trying to import the same batch of songs and expecting this to help. The whole point of this solution is to find which files work through either trial and error or by using better converting methods (which I didn't cover here as there's plenty of better resources on the internet). If you read this and try importing the same batch of files and then think that this method did not work, you're not ever going to fix the problem and you're better off waiting for an official fix via patch in the coming weeks.

Again, I repeat: find which files you can CONFIRM work and slowly build your playlist using files that the don't cause the game to crash. This may involve a ton of trial and error, or you could just use a vetted method to convert ALL of your files to identical (working) formats. I've had success using iTunes to create mp3s EVEN IF THE EXISTING FILE I'M CONVERTING IS ALREADY AN MP3. Don't take it as a foregone conclusion that a file will work just because it's an mp3.

Last edited by aarontab; 03-31-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: For those having Playlist Edit/Deleting Files crash issues (TEMPORARY fix)

Here's what i've gone through and what i've noticed so far:

- I'm using an 8gb usb drive
- First time using SOTS i imported 2 quick songs (BOTH WITH JACKED UP META DATA AND NO ALBUM COVERS)
- Everything worked fine
- So since the test seemed to work... i went back, got 15 songs, dropped them all into an mp3 converter (just to be safe), added them to an mp3tag program and fixed all the meta data with album covers etc.
- Went back, imported all songs (import seem to go well)
- Click jukebox
- Crash

Other Notes:
- Second batch of songs included my first 2 original songs but with album covers and fixed meta data.

So here are me theories on what could be causing the crash:
- Trying to upload too many songs at once
- Meta data reading error
- More specifically, it could be album art
- Messed up mp3 files

I'm in the "restart console during installation demo" phase you stated will report back once it finish.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #3
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason324
Here's what i've gone through and what i've noticed so far:

- I'm using an 8gb usb drive
- First time using SOTS i imported 2 quick songs (BOTH WITH JACKED UP META DATA AND NO ALBUM COVERS)
- Everything worked fine
- So since the test seemed to work... i went back, got 15 songs, dropped them all into an mp3 converter (just to be safe), added them to an mp3tag program and fixed all the meta data with album covers etc.
- Went back, imported all songs (import seem to go well)
- Click jukebox
- Crash

Other Notes:
- Second batch of songs included my first 2 original songs but with album covers and fixed meta data.

So here are me theories on what could be causing the crash:
- Trying to upload too many songs at once
- Meta data reading error
- More specifically, it could be album art
- Messed up mp3 files

I'm in the "restart console during installation demo" phase you stated will report back once it finish.

I really hope it works for you, I'm hoping with enough feedback we might be able to help them fix this issue this year instead of limping through until they get closer to perfection next year.

One note: although you may already have picked that up, just in case - I meant restart the console after the install completes, right as you are able to "Exit" the demo game. Just restart the console instead of Exiting and continuing on with the game. When you boot up it will just start the game normally.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarontab
I really hope it works for you, I'm hoping with enough feedback we might be able to help them fix this issue this year instead of limping through until they get closer to perfection next year.

One note: although you may already have picked that up, just in case - I meant restart the console after the install completes, right as you are able to "Exit" the demo game. Just restart the console instead of Exiting and continuing on with the game. When you boot up it will just start the game normally.
Ok... so i followed everything, here's what happened:

- Because i feared that it might have been the fact that i was uploading too many songs (15), i went ahead and only added 1 song to the usb drive while deleting the rest.
- This song did have meta data (including album art) created by me and was in converted mp3 format.
- The upload worked and i was able to access to jukebox
- So i went back, added the rest to the drive
- Import was fine
- Clicked jukebox
- Crash

So, i'm restarting everything again.

- The meta data theory and album cover theory is out the window since it worked on one of the songs
- So it's either:
- An import issue due to too many files
- A corrupted mp3 file in that batch of files

What i'm doing to do next is just upload every song 1 by 1, and see what happens. By doing so i will be able to either see if it's the batch or a single corrupted file.

Will report back in a few.

btw: thanks dude, forgot to say so in my first post
Old 03-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

Quote:
- A corrupted mp3 file in that batch of files
This is looking more and more likely. Tough to fix I'm sure since quality/consistency of mp3 files is a definite wildcard, they just need to find a way to make the system bypass those bad files (and make them removeable) while staying stable.

And it's my pleasure. I found that most places where people were reporting this issue, it wasn't being taken very seriously and the people reporting it weren't looking at enough root causes. If I can help even one person get their game working with SOTS at a serviceable level, it was all worth it for me.

Edit- it's just too bad it takes FOREVER to reinstall lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
This is looking more and more likely. Tough to fix I'm sure since quality/consistency of mp3 files is a definite wildcard, they just need to find a way to make the system bypass those bad files (and make them removeable) while staying stable.

And it's my pleasure. I found that most places where people were reporting this issue, it wasn't being taken very seriously and the people reporting it weren't looking at enough root causes. If I can help even one person get their game working with SOTS at a serviceable level, it was all worth it for me.

Edit- it's just too bad it takes FOREVER to reinstall lol
dude, i know... it's a pain, lol.

but i'm back at it and going into my third reinstall now..

Here's what i found so far:

- So I now tested uploading songs individually. It worked for the first 3 songs.
- I attached my usb stick to my mac, added 1 song, put it back in, upload successful
- Took it out, back to mac, deleted song, added a new one...
- I did this 3 times and all three times i was successful (no crash)
- So to test the batch theory, instead of adding 1 song to the usb drive i added 2
- It crashed on the 2 song batch upload

So either 1 of the songs on the 2 song upload was corrupted or the game crashes on batch uploads. I guess on this next try i'll be able to know for sure.

I'll upload the same 5 songs now individually in the same order, if it doesn't crash then it's clear it's batch uploads (atleast for me).

Were you able to upload your songs in a batch without crashing?

Well be back in a few, installing (lol)
Old 03-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #7
Rookie

aarontab's Arena

Quote:
dude, i know... it's a pain, lol.

but i'm back at it and going into my third reinstall now..

Here's what i found so far:

- So I now tested uploading songs individually. It worked for the first 3 songs.
- I attached my usb stick to my mac, added 1 song, put it back in, upload successful
- Took it out, back to mac, deleted song, added a new one...
- I did this 3 times and all three times i was successful (no crash)
- So to test the batch theory, instead of adding 1 song to the usb drive i added 2
- It crashed on the 2 song batch upload

So either 1 of the songs on the 2 song upload was corrupted or the game crashes on batch uploads. I guess on this next try i'll be able to know for sure.

I'll upload the same 5 songs now individually in the same order, if it doesn't crash then it's clear it's batch uploads (atleast for me).

Were you able to upload your songs in a batch without crashing?

Well be back in a few, installing (lol)

I did a batch of 90+ and it worked fine both the first time and the time I did the steps I listed in my first post. It seemed to work fine in a batch but when I added new files to the mix it started crashing. I have not tried adding new songs since I got it working, I will be adding some files eventually but I'm a little gun-shy given the install time.

I also use a Mac - part of me wonders if this might be a common thread with people having the issue. I seem to remember reading somebody else mentioning the same issue and casually bringing up they were using a Mac. Hard to believe that would do it in and of itself, but it's hard to rule anything out at this point.

Another thing I wondered about was multiple imports causing it. That's when it stopped working for me and a lot of people are saying it worked fine the first time but then after adding new files it starts crashing. Maybe when importing new files it has issues? One thought I had was maybe deleting the already imported files off the drive before importing others, as maybe it doesn't manage the already imported files properly (almost like it overwrites them halfway, but it corrupts the uploaded file somehow). At this point it's all guesswork until we start compiling a list of things that DEFINITELY cause crashes.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
I did a batch of 90+ and it worked fine both the first time and the time I did the steps I listed in my first post. It seemed to work fine in a batch but when I added new files to the mix it started crashing. I have not tried adding new songs since I got it working, I will be adding some files eventually but I'm a little gun-shy given the install time.

I also use a Mac - part of me wonders if this might be a common thread with people having the issue. I seem to remember reading somebody else mentioning the same issue and casually bringing up they were using a Mac. Hard to believe that would do it in and of itself, but it's hard to rule anything out at this point.

Another thing I wondered about was multiple imports causing it. That's when it stopped working for me and a lot of people are saying it worked fine the first time but then after adding new files it starts crashing. Maybe when importing new files it has issues? One thought I had was maybe deleting the already imported files off the drive before importing others, as maybe it doesn't manage the already imported files properly (almost like it overwrites them halfway, but it corrupts the uploaded file somehow). At this point it's all guesswork until we start compiling a list of things that DEFINITELY cause crashes.
It's a corrupted file. (atleast from what i can tell)

This time i went back and uploaded each song individually, everything was great until i uploaded the 5th song.

But here's something interesting... i rechecked my meta data on those 5 files and noticed that the 4 songs that did work had no track number while the one that caused it to crashed was labeled "1 / __ ". So maybe having a track number in the meta data could also be a problem.

If you were able to upload 90 files then that kinda rules out the batch theory and i too was able to upload 2 songs together on my first try.

I'll keep playing and resetting until i figure it out. I'll continue to report on here throughout the day just in case anyone else is having the same problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > Sounds Of The Show »