Home

Do We know the Future of This Franchise Yet?

This is a discussion on Do We know the Future of This Franchise Yet? within the Super Mega Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2022, 02:16 AM   #1
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16
Do We know the Future of This Franchise Yet?

Figured I’d throw this out there. Any word? Any hint? This franchise base is far more important than I think EA really knows but hopefully I’m wrong.
It could use in no particular order
Player progression, aging, and draft

Stadium customization in a deep way. It’s a fantasy game. Allow us to have an imagination.

A real difference between being home and away with the crowd. Go over the top with it. If I hit a HR away, I should hear boos and the like with a vigorous intensity. Not this current neutral crowd.

Full editable league and settings shara le with others. Allow us community members to edit this in ways that it helps playability in e dry way.

Scouting, inventive ways to find people like “had previous job at factory but was far too good for his office team” or “recently released from anger management but has potential for x” or things like that.

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2022, 01:27 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Do We know the Future of This Franchise Yet?

I believe it has been implied via Twitter that they have at least reached the planning stages for their next baseball game.

The acquisition by EA really makes it difficult to guess where the next installment will go.

My hope is this will provide additional resources to expedite the process of further fleshing out what has already been created. Shareable creations, more Co-op features, customization options, improved game play mechanics, etc.

My fear is that the MLB license is implemented, and the game becomes Super Mega/Major League Baseball. As fun as it might be to have "real" players and stadiums as an option, I just feel it also brings with it all the expectations of "authenticity" with it.

I'm eager myself to see what direction the series is heading.
Old 02-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #3
Cod
MVP

Cod's Arena

OVR: 10

Their website provides an idea: Metalhead has been on a wild ride that’s included humble beginnings as a bootstrapped startup in 2009, three major game launches in 2014, 2018, and 2020, and an acquisition by Electronic Arts (EA) in 2021. Now, we’re teaming up with EA SPORTS to grow the Super Mega Baseball franchise, as well as develop new experiences for players worldwide. The word "grow" here is where the question lies. Is it growth as in reaching a wider audience? Or like Rifle_Man81 said by adding the MLB license? We can only speculate at this point.

Their open jobs provide some additional insight. For example, one of the Character Artist openings states "We’re expanding our in-house team so that we can build the next generation of our light-hearted, ultra-customizable athletes (and off-field characters!), both male and female." That defines the characters of SMB, so we can assume the aesthetic will be similar, but not necessarily baseball. The reason I think another sport may be represented is from one of the Animator openings: "Our twitch-input sports games are viscerally paced, stylized and often satirical – but they are also faithful to the sports they represent."

tldr; we can only speculate at this time, but clues are available.

Last edited by Cod; 02-28-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:59 PM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I'm guessing they'll include MLB next time around. I just hope there is also a SMB league alongside of it that you can use, including females and those stadiums.

They already rolled out their final big update for SMB 3. I just hope EA doesn't mess with this formula too much is all.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-15-2022, 03:57 PM   #5
Rookie

If they go with an MLB license Im done with the game. The fictional players is why I like the game.
I was hoping they would make a hockey game with the fictional players and have the great franchise hockey mode. With all the stat tracking they have.

But I think I heard they are doing another baseball game.
Hopefully they just add roster sharing and stadium creator.
Add some more camera angles- more stats on boxscores etc.

Its gonna ruin the game if they get the mlb license involved.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2022, 12:25 AM   #6
Rookie

So the big companies have high priced lawyers,so they can do roster share feature. And the little guys don't have lawyers? Guess I'm asking "the big companies can stretch out a millionaire ball player suing over his likeness in a sharable roster file" until he drops the suit? That doesn't make much sense because they both filthy rich and have good council (lawyers).

I don't follow how the big companies avoid being sued but these little companies claim that's the reason why no roster share.

If anyone can understand my rambling please tell me how the millionaire ball player would just give up on the lawsuit against the big companies?
Old 03-05-2022, 01:20 AM   #7
Pro

The EVHL's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod
Their website provides an idea: Metalhead has been on a wild ride that’s included humble beginnings as a bootstrapped startup in 2009, three major game launches in 2014, 2018, and 2020, and an acquisition by Electronic Arts (EA) in 2021. Now, we’re teaming up with EA SPORTS to grow the Super Mega Baseball franchise, as well as develop new experiences for players worldwide. The word "grow" here is where the question lies. Is it growth as in reaching a wider audience? Or like Rifle_Man81 said by adding the MLB license? We can only speculate at this point.

Their open jobs provide some additional insight. For example, one of the Character Artist openings states "We’re expanding our in-house team so that we can build the next generation of our light-hearted, ultra-customizable athletes (and off-field characters!), both male and female." That defines the characters of SMB, so we can assume the aesthetic will be similar, but not necessarily baseball. The reason I think another sport may be represented is from one of the Animator openings: "Our twitch-input sports games are viscerally paced, stylized and often satirical – but they are also faithful to the sports they represent."

tldr; we can only speculate at this time, but clues are available.
If they're going to a different sport, I'm hoping it's hockey. I know it probably won't be, but a man can dream...
Old 03-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm guessing they'll include MLB next time around. I just hope there is also a SMB league alongside of it that you can use, including females and those stadiums.

They already rolled out their final big update for SMB 3. I just hope EA doesn't mess with this formula too much is all.
The best compromise would be a MLB license, but no player license. Set up MLB teams as "bosses" in a new career mode.

I'd at least keep the original teams and players around in some form, like maybe minor leagues, or maybe have MLB be the feeder league to SMBL.

I think there are a ton of ways to use the MLB license and keep the vibe Metal Head has. What happens behind closed doors, now that they are taking EA money? Well, that's where games become great or go south, and it is not always just because the publisher screws it up. There is a lot of pressure, just like a free agent signing, to earn your big payday.

The things is, I love their version of franchise play a million times more than any realistic version I am forced to trudge through because realism. I'd rather them tweak their franchise play than try to emulate anything realistic.

I trust Metal Head a lot to find a really fun way to integrate MLB. But doing it via EA is a definite complication. But I can't blame them for taking this route. They put out three outstanding games, and built up a nice niche community. Now they get paid. Good for them, regardless of how SMB4 turns out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Super Mega Baseball »