Home

What wrong with wrestling

This is a discussion on What wrong with wrestling within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 11-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
What wrong with wrestling

A few things…before I get started…in my Universe i don't use any new wrestlers. This game actually made me want to watch RAW to give the new folks a chance…I stopped watching immediately because I realized why the WWE stinks now..

They have lost all shred of originality. CM Punk is Stone Cold, Orton is HHH, Cena is Hogan and the Miz is the Rock, Ryback is Goldberg….the problem is that they are poor version of them.

The story lines haven't changed much at all…same thing just not as good. Its like watching the crappy version of a blockbuster sic-fi movie that is copied on the scfy channel starring C.Thomas Howell or Casper Van Diem…

There is a solution…and his name is Brock Lesnar. They should invent a new match type called Shoot…that is pretty much a real fight. Make a Shoot Champ…ala Brock Lesnar. Have Brock become the World Champ. This will send the message that the world champ is actually the toughest guy. Then make the Shoot Championship a precursor to the World title….

Instead of a fake sport it would give the illusion that it is real. THis is something the sport has not had for 20 years. You can make a cruiserweight division with the same type of gimmick. Make matches look more like Shooto…

then after a few years revert back to the current style
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #2
MVP

Colts18's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: What wrong with wrestling

Sounds nice but they don't want to be classified as a sport. GOing down the "realistic" road would make them closer to a sport when they are in the PG-13 era. And they wouldn't want to be compared to UFC any more than they currently are.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts18
Sounds nice but they don't want to be classified as a sport. GOing down the "realistic" road would make them closer to a sport when they are in the PG-13 era. And they wouldn't want to be compared to UFC any more than they currently are.
No…it would NOT be an actual sport. It would blur the line…like Shooto. No predetermined out coming necessarily. THe moves would ALL be reality based. The gimmick…say with Brock is that he was "not following the script" he was fighting for real. Meanwhile…its still rasping with reality based moves.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 24

So if you made a shoot champ where the fights would be real, the majority of matches would be 2 guys rolling around the mat trying to get each other in submission holds that have not been associated with pro wrestling the last 50 years. Don't think you would be seeing F5's from Lesner or whatever he calls his finishing moves these days.

Trying to make it similar to UFC style matches is not a great idea, the majority of UFC matches are snorefests as well, guys are usually lying on the ground trying to get position for a submission for 3 rounds, the diehards may love the science of that but not the average WWE viewer and that sure won't bring in a new audience. And the matches between strikers usually last about 90 seconds before someone is knocked out, hardly a suitable match length for a WWE title match.

Its not like the UFC is currently setting the world on fire, popularity is down there as well because they suffer the same problem as the WWE: the lack of interesting personalities. All their big guys are getting old and some already retired and the new guys replacing them are not exactly charisma magnets.

Last edited by Seymour Scagnetti; 11-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

i stopped reading at "the miz is the rock". the miz is a jobber
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

They tried the 'shoot' thing in the Attitude Era with Shamrock, Severn, and those random Lion's Den matches. It sucked then too.

And in general, you wouldn't have a 'shoot' style champion, because all it does is tell the audience that the other guys are fake fighting. Do we already know that? Sure, but it's bad form for the company to promote it that way.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
So if you made a shoot champ where the fights would be real, the majority of matches would be 2 guys rolling around the mat trying to get each other in submission holds that have not been associated with pro wrestling the last 50 years. Don't think you would be seeing F5's from Lesner or whatever he calls his finishing moves these days.

Trying to make it similar to UFC style matches is not a great idea, the majority of UFC matches are snorefests as well, guys are usually lying on the ground trying to get position for a submission for 3 rounds, the diehards may love the science of that but not the average WWE viewer and that sure won't bring in a new audience. And the matches between strikers usually last about 90 seconds before someone is knocked out, hardly a suitable match length for a WWE title match.

Its not like the UFC is currently setting the world on fire, popularity is down there as well because they suffer the same problem as the WWE: the lack of interesting personalities. All their big guys are getting old and some already retired and the new guys replacing them are not exactly charisma magnets.
No I think you are confusing what I am saving…I think its because you are not familiar with Shooto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVhfGpR1TNg

not the best match..but a quick one to start.

Also…you would not abandon the WWE style outright…you would just make it clear who would "actually" win in a fight. And that person should be champ…until it looks like there is someone else who might "actually" win based on their Shoot style performances. A good shoot fight looks like a mix of pro wrestling and MMA. Some wresters styles actually resemble this at times (Bret Hart comes to mind)…Dan Severn, Kurt Angle, Dean Malenko, Chris Jericho (Lionheart days)
Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
They tried the 'shoot' thing in the Attitude Era with Shamrock, Severn, and those random Lion's Den matches. It sucked then too.

And in general, you wouldn't have a 'shoot' style champion, because all it does is tell the audience that the other guys are fake fighting. Do we already know that? Sure, but it's bad form for the company to promote it that way.
The problem was that they had NO personality…they did not have the other side of the Biz…and frankly I thought Shamrock was just fine…Severns personality and gimmick was weak.

Also…it did not go over that well because that was when there was still a lingering illusion at that time that this was real fighting.

Now it is so clear it is NOT real and that it is nothing more than a testosterone based soap opera…that the illusion of realism would be the "new" element that has been missing for 3 decades.

I am not saying that it should stay that way…but you want someone to believe that a guy is the world champ because he is toughest…now its clear a world champ has to do with gimmick, mic skills and backstage buttkissing and nothing to do with ability to fight.

Remember when you thought Hogan was the toughest guy out there and he can beat anyone up….does anyone think that about Punk, Cena or Orton for 3 seconds.

I always felt back in the day if the WWF locker room got into a real free for all…guys like hogan, Andre the Giant would win.

If that happened now…Punk, Cena and Orton would be killed….ironically…I think Alberto Del Rio might end up near the top of the pile….but anyway…they need to find out a way to give the illusion of legitimacy….otherwise its just constant rehashing….

Wresting has broken the 4th wall and the need to repair it now. So that breaking that wall is special in some way

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »