Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K12 Developer Insight #7 - Creating a Legend - Kobe Rated 94, LeBron 98

Erick Boenisch, Producer for NBA 2K12, back once again.  I’m here today to tell you about a new mode you’ll be playing in the game this year, “NBA: Creating A Legend”.  For this experience, you’ll be taking over the career of any player in the NBA and seeing it through to completion.  In structure and style, this mode resembles My Player in many ways.  If you haven’t got a chance to read my Insight on that mode yet, I recommend you go and give that a read.

The first thing you will do when starting the mode is selecting the player whose career you want to take over.  You can select any player in the league.  If you want to jump right in and dominate, the likes of Kobe, LeBron, and Wade are at your fingertips.  On the other hand, if you are looking for more of a challenge, you can start with a young talent such as a Dexter Pittman or a Daniel Orton and guide them to All-Star appearances, MVPs, and NBA championships. 

Click here for high resolution

In NBA: Creating A Legend, you can choose to play as any player in the NBA and play out the rest of their career.  Whose career will you take over?

One of my favorite things about this new mode is that you can take whatever path you want with a player and ultimately change the outcome of his career.  If you want to take a Kobe Bryant and try to match him up with Melo and Amare in New York, go talk to management about a trade and tell them you want to go to New York.  Remember, you aren’t someone who is pulling the strings for Kobe in this mode, YOU are Kobe!

Many of the new additions that we’ve added to My Player this year have found their way into NBA: Creating A Legend, including Contract Negotiations + Spending, the ability to play only Key Games (this gets you through seasons much faster), Player Abilities, Dynamic Goals, all of the new Drills, and much more.  These inclusions are an immediate boost and add instant depth to this new mode.

Click here for high resolution

In NBA: Creating A Legend, you’ll be able to request trades to specific teams (like in My Player).  Your request isn’t a guarantee you’ll end up there, but your GM will do his best to work out a deal with one of those teams.  For you Knick fans out there, this is your chance to bring Kobe into the fold.

My aim and focus with this mode was to provide an experience that even the most casual user with limited playing time could jump right into and enjoy.  At the same, I wanted to provide a feature littered with depth that even our most devoted users would find fulfilling over an extended period of time.  For those of you picking up the game on October 4th, give this hidden gem a shot.  I think you’ll find yourself quickly becoming addicted to what it has to offer.

- Erick Boenisch

a.k.a. SimBaller

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 jersez @ 09/14/11 03:13 PM
I probably will be using Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant and Eric Gordan( he is so underrated)in this mode. Four young players that can still get better, I don't want to play as someone who basically at their peak.

# 62 Yeah...THAT Guy @ 09/14/11 03:13 PM
I think I'll give regular My Player a try first, but when I try this mode out, I'll probably either play as Brandon Roy, Tracy McGrady, Andrew Bogut (I'm a Bucks fan), or perhaps even someone like Chris Bosh where I'll ask to be traded so that I can be at least the #2 guy for a title contender instead of getting hung out to dry all the time. My respect for him went way up in the Finals after listening to all his post-game interviews and stuff. He seemed to take the Finals much more to heart than LeBron and even Wade in my opinion.

# 63 OGKing @ 09/14/11 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
I probably will be using Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant and Eric Gordan( he is so underrated)in this mode. Four young players that can still get better, I don't want to play as someone who basically at their peak.
This. I'm thinking about playing with a nice young SG. Maybe Nick Young? I want someone athletic and has size, maybe 6'7, can abuse in the post.

# 64 pauljkpark @ 09/14/11 03:16 PM
I'd go Yao Ming (assuming they go with last year's rosters) with injuries turned off.

# 65 OGKing @ 09/14/11 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljkpark
I'd go Yao Ming (assuming they go with last year's rosters) with injuries turned off.
Wait, they're going to go with last years rosters?

# 66 infam0us @ 09/14/11 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGKing
Wait, they're going to go with last years rosters?
The rosters before the lockout began.

# 67 OGKing @ 09/14/11 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
The rosters before the lockout began.
oh, that's fine i guess. So the draft trades are still there though right?

For example, felton to portland, miller to denver?

# 68 infam0us @ 09/14/11 03:33 PM
Yeah. You can see Rudy playing for the Mavs in some of the footage and screenshots we've received.

# 69 jersez @ 09/14/11 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGKing
This. I'm thinking about playing with a nice young SG. Maybe Nick Young? I want someone athletic and has size, maybe 6'7, can abuse in the post.
How did I forget Nick young, Evan turner would be good a pick too, for a SG.

# 70 OGKing @ 09/14/11 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Yeah. You can see Rudy playing for the Mavs in some of the footage and screenshots we've received.
oh right, forgot.
Forgot about Evan Turner dude, nice choice

# 71 jeebs9 @ 09/14/11 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrince22
i could've written that insight myself. not too much in there that most people probably didnt already expect
Samething I said..

But what happens if you become a older player like Jason Kidd or Steve Nash. You know guys on the brink of retirement. How does that work? I will be playing this mode a lot. I never like the building a My player from 45 rating thing. I got a job with party life. Don't have time for that.

# 72 doublek @ 09/14/11 03:54 PM
C'mon, no one mentioned about the Kings youngsters: Tyreke and Cuz? They'd be fun to use!

# 73 pauljkpark @ 09/14/11 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublek
C'mon, no one mentioned about the Kings youngsters: Tyreke and Cuz? They'd be fun to use!
First thing I'd do is demand a trade.

# 74 DonWuan @ 09/14/11 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Samething I said..

But what happens if you become a older player like Jason Kidd or Steve Nash. You know guys on the brink of retirement. How does that work? I will be playing this mode a lot. I never like the building a My player from 45 rating thing. I got a job with party life. Don't have time for that.
I think the my player this year starts at mid 60s now but harder to upgrade now.

Im going to pick someone thats been forgotten. Marcus Williams that played for the Nets behind Kidd. In all my association, he is usually my backup pg and is a good player that needs a little development. He can score with ease from mid-close range and is a good passer.

Or Donte Green from Sacramento 6"11 sf can shoot the 3 and is athletic.

Or Bayless from Toronto and become the next AI

# 75 seanbarkley @ 09/14/11 04:03 PM
Possibly Jimmer Fredette,but being a Spaniard maybe I'll give Ricky Rubio a shot.

# 76 UnbelievablyRAW @ 09/14/11 04:06 PM
The rating order is correct. Wade has been playing better than Kobe since the 09 season where he was robbed of the MVP. Lebron is proibablygoing to be brought back down to 96 with Wade like last year and Kobe MIGHT be 95. (Last year's rating's) You have to be a rabid Kobe fan to say he is better than both Wade and Lebron.

On another note, it'd suck if we can only start from THIS point in their career. Playing as T-Mac would be crappy because you'd be 32 on your way out of the league and I don't think your potential to get any greater (at least in 2K12 for older players) won't be high enough for him to be a superstar again.

# 77 mlp111 @ 09/14/11 04:12 PM
body models look great,

# 78 Btank314 @ 09/14/11 04:14 PM
I'm gon use O.J. mayo or jrue holiday
Or maybe Demar Derozan

# 79 Kurupt_XxX @ 09/14/11 04:49 PM
Lamarcus Aldridge will lead blazers to a contender

# 80 clipperfan811 @ 09/14/11 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Penny, it's official, you're career WILL......be resurrected.....with the Celtics

I like that!.... except for the Celtics part, that part's a terrible idea

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.